6 HP String Trimmer

Old 06-01-10, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
6 HP String Trimmer

A few weeks ago I found a Craigslist ad for a non running Ariens walk behind 6 HP string trimmer, like this one except that it has a Tecumseh engine, for $70.

946150 @ Mowers Direct - Your Online 946150 Superstore!

That sounded like a fun piece of equipment and perhaps a challenge to get working, so I bought it.

A little experimentation verified that the carburetor was plugged up, and despite repeated efforts I was unable to get the existing carburetor clean. So I'm 0-2 on cleaning Tecumseh carburetors.

I bought a new Oregon carb off Craigslist for $41 including shipping, which seemed decent. I installed it this afternoon and the engine fired up just fine.

So I went around and mowed down an unimproved alley with lots of high weeds and some thick blackberry vines. All knocked down easily, which is quite satisfying.

I could more or less walk into high weeds at a walking pace and mow them down. A regular mower would have choked on it. My 35 cc string trimmer would have s-l-o-w-l-y mowed down the weeds, but would have just caused the larger blackberry canes to bounce around.

The string has to be installed by hand --- no bump-n-go. But it seems pretty durable. I did everything I wanted to do with only some wear to the fairly thick plastic "string."

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 03:06 AM
These wheeled trimmers are great little machines, particularly for grown up fence rows.
Have had 4 or 5 given to me over last couple of years that had Tecumseh engines that didn't run. Repowered with some B&S engines off old lawn mowers. My best one has 6hp briggs. Tecumseh's have cast iron flywheels, b&s don't, but hasn't been a particular problem.

Old 06-02-10, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are good tools and can do quite a lot of work, however those Tecumseh engines on all the ones I have seen are prone to self destruct.
All I have seen have used oil and seem to need carb work, specifically needle/seat, annually. It might be due in part to the fact that they seem to be in storage or idle for much more of the year than they are in use. Even my personal one on a Craftsman, but the Ariens as well.
Check the oil religiously for level and gas. Run it dry of gas including dropping the float bowl and draining/cleaning for any length of storage.

Old 06-02-10, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks for the advice, fixit.

It seems like a fun toy to play around with for a while.

Search this Thread