John Deere JX75 black smoke!!!!

Old 06-02-10, 12:51 PM
John Deere JX75 black smoke!!!!

Good Afternoon,
As you may have read in my other threads I have a 1999 J.D. JX75 with the Kawasaki 6.5 hp engine. It has been running rich since the begining of the season I tore apart the Carb & cleaned it checked the float & needle (they looked good) I checked the spark it was good.
Today I cut the grass & put in some Sea Foam & a new spark plug. Once again halfway through the mowing it ran out of gas which I filled the tank before I started also it was exhausting black to grey smoke?.
The only thing I can think of is to replace the needle & float the guy at the John Deere store told me there are no adjustments to the carburetor! not sure if this is true as there are screws in it. I would love to replace the whole carburetor but can only imagine what that cost. One other thing I have two spark plugs for her & always keep one clean as I know once she runs out of gas the plug also needs to be changed cause it is black.
If anyone has any other idea on what could be causing this or what to look check for please let me know? as I would like to try to solve this before the next cut.
Thank you all!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A simple bench test for your carb needle n seat.
Remove it from the engine, connect a fuel line to the inlet of the carb and the other to a source/res of fuel. You may be able to leave it connected to the fuel tank on the mower if you can prop the carb up somehow.
Let it sit and observe for fuel to flow out anywhere. Let it sit overnight if need be. Clean and dry it thoroughly before so you can see any new signs of fuel.

Old 06-04-10, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
A simple bench test for your carb needle n seat.
Remove it from the engine, connect a fuel line to the inlet of the carb and the other to a source/res of fuel. You may be able to leave it connected to the fuel tank on the mower if you can prop the carb up somehow.
Let it sit and observe for fuel to flow out anywhere. Let it sit overnight if need be. Clean and dry it thoroughly before so you can see any new signs of fuel.
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for this information I will try that as I have it all apart. What I did is take the shroud or cover off so I could see what was better going on. The gas tank is still bolted to the cover so this should be easy to do I tipped the carb upside down took a piece of house connected that to the inlet on carb blew in to it and the needle held I then tipped her right side up & was able to blow into her.
At this point the only thing I found was the gas shut off not shutting off the gas but that is now fixed.
To tell u the truth I was just about to order a new carb for her @ $110. from J.D. but for some reason I'm still not to sure it's not the springs to the governor I would like to adjust the arm for the governor but I don't know how to do this. Why I think it may be the springs is because I only have high when I try to idle her down she stalls I also see the throttle plate moving back & forth. I don't know if I'm making any sence here I just can't believe it is going through a tank of gas halfway through cutting & I have to change the plug.
Anyway I will try your idea & see what happens.
Once again Thank you for your help!.
Will,

Old 06-04-10, 04:38 PM
put a little bit of gas in a throw away cup or bowl and put the float in it. Me thinks the float sinks.

Old 06-10-10, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
put a little bit of gas in a throw away cup or bowl and put the float in it. Me thinks the float sinks.
I tried that I let the float sit in a coffee can for two days & it kept a float. I then put a weight on it for about an hour or two when I took it off it came right back up & floated on the gas. When I took it out I shook it no gas in it.
It never can be the easy stuff always has to be a pain I'm really thinking seriously of (and I hate to do this as money is tight) brining it to the J.D. place & having them fix it I still think it's the governor.
Thank you for your help I just can not figure this out.

Search this Thread