Craftsman Mower - Battery Discharges

Old 07-03-09, 03:27 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Mower - Battery Discharges

I have a Craftsman riding mower, model number: 917.252541 with a Kohler 14.5 hp engine. It has run well for most of the past several years, but recently, when it is running, the charge / discharge meter is showing discharge, and the battery ends up going dead. I have to jump start it, and it usually runs okay, although, with a very dead battery, it died several times in an hour. With a newer, less dead battery, it ran until I put it in 6th gear and started to go fast. The lights work.

Does the battery have a different source of charging power than then lights? How do I determine what is causing the battery to discharge and die, and how do I fix it?

Thank you.

Old 07-03-09, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Under the dash area under the gas tank are 3 relays, usually on the right side of the mower. One of these is probably the problem. I'd buy one and replace each one with it until you find the one that makes it charge, or replace all 3, or I can tell you how to check the system with a voltmeter but it takes a lot more time and diagnostics.

Old 07-04-09, 06:42 AM
P
I found an electrical device under the gas tank, attached to the right side of the mower. It had a red wire (coming from the battery); another red wire going to the starter; a white wire attached to a blade-type connector; and two black wires attached to another blade-type connector. Could this be the relay?

I replaced this device with one I took off of another mower (not sure it was good), but got the same results (meter showing discharge). I took the fuse (30 amp) out of the socket, and the mower kept running for a few seconds before it died.

Is there a way to test the device I took off, or does it need to be installed on the mower?

I really appreciate your help.

Old 07-04-09, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I'll have to look up your mower electrical system... that's not what I was referring to. Yours may not have the relays. I'll come back later and look up the system you have. The burgers are ready..... Happy 4th!

Old 07-04-09, 10:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I just went to look up the mower and the sears site is down right now.

If yours does not have the 3 small black boxes under the gas tank, then look on the side of the mower for a rectangular thing on the left side of the bower housing with a 3 prong connector on it. Does it have this? Do you have a voltmeter?

Old 07-05-09, 12:08 PM
P
I didn't find anything electrical on the left side of the mower housing. The thing that I took off of the right side says 12V/50%. I think it may be a solenoid for the starter.

I have a volt meter, and tested the wires coming out from under the flywheel (on top of the motor). The meter showed about 32V (ac) when the throttle was in the mowing notch.

Out of curiosity, I switched the wires going to and from the ammeter, and now it shows a positive reading when running. Which side of the meter should the wire from the ignition switch go to? It is now connected to the left side (it was previously connected to the right side).

Old 07-05-09, 03:03 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
The thing you did with the ammeter wires just changed the polarity going into the meter = all it does is change the reading and nothing else.

Old 07-05-09, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wires coming from under the flywheel with 32 vac on them.... where do they go? They don't go to a rectangular box on the left side of the blower housing?

Old 08-08-09, 05:02 PM
P
I apologize for the delayed reply. I didn't see any type of rectangular box on the left side of the engine or blower housing. The wires came through a hole to a connector (where I tested them); I didn't see any other type of electrical device.

Old 06-04-10, 09:24 AM
D
Craftsman riding mower

i have a craftsman mower model 917.272130 when i engage blades, they come on then turn off. the engine stays on. i have replaced the relay assembly, the PTO switch and over riden the seat sensor. not having any luck. Please help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: