Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Burning out a 2-cycle muffler with a torch

NH

06-04-10, 04:59 PM   #1  
Burning out a 2-cycle muffler with a torch

Had a customer call me. He has a 2 cycle brush cutter that won't start. He said last year he brought it back to where he bought it (35 miles 1 way) and they said they had to burn out the muffler with a torch. He is running 50:1 mix. I have 2 cycle weed wackers and have never had to burn out the muffler with a torch. Yes, I have heard of this being done by homeowners. I wouldn't think the muffler would clog up that bad in a couple of years. I will know mor Sat. when he drops it off.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-04-10, 06:36 PM   #2  
He prolly meant the spark arrestor which is just a screen insert on most. I use a lil propane bottle torch on them then brake cleen and air.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-10, 03:33 PM   #3  
A lot depends on the operator. If it does a lot of idling and low rpm running, and running for short periods of time, it will build up carbon quickly. Trimmers used primarily to trim fence rows and delicate siding or barriers often clog faster because of the tendency to run them at low rpm to keep from cutting the string on the fence or damaging the siding.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread