Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How long is too long?

PA

06-04-10, 05:34 PM   #1  
How long is too long?

This is a carb cleaning question. I purchased a bucket of carb cleaner and plan to soak a carb in the solution.

Can you keep it in the cleaning solution too long? If yes, how long is too long?

Steve

Sponsored Links

NH

06-04-10, 07:15 PM   #2  
The carb cleaning solutions on the market today are tame. They do the job. I have left carbs in the solution for 2 days.
The old stuff that you could buy in the early 90's was harsh. It would dry out your skin quickly, take paint off, eat up rubber & plastic. EPA mandated it be made less harsh. This stuff will disolve varnish, but it takes longer. The old stuff would clean in an hour. The new stuff, I soak for min of 2 hours and many times overnight.

PA

06-04-10, 07:36 PM   #3  
Thanks. I bought the stuff at Autozone last weekend. So the carb goes for a long swim. Thanks.

Steve

Non-US

06-04-10, 09:02 PM   #4  
You'll be fine,,soak it as long as you want... I've a carb in my "Kleen-Flow" stuff from a snowblower left over from early spring... I looks clean now, but I just keep it there as I throw lawnmower carbs in with it.. No time to fix snowblowers now!!!! Roger

PA

06-06-10, 08:24 PM   #5  
Quick update: After four hours in the carb cleaner the engine started on the third pull. The first two pulls were probably needed to pull the fuel through the carb and back to the engine. It started several additional times on a single pull.

I think I will do my snow thrower carb next.

Steve

Search this Thread