Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sutech Stealth 33" Mower - Transmission Oil Seal

NH

06-13-10, 11:59 AM   #1  
Sutech Stealth 33" Mower - Transmission Oil Seal

I'm curious if there are any "gotchas" relating to the oil seal located on the bearing output cover for the output shaft? I pulled some of the transmission apart as I have recently sprung a transmission oil leak. The tranny would leak near the oil seal and output shaft when the mower was running and the output shaft was turning. I pulled it apart and replaced the seal ring when I noticed the oil seal. I put it all back together and it appears to not be leaking as much, but I am not sure if I should simply replace the oil seal or maybe there is something I need to do to the oil seal when I put it all back together? It looks as though the seal is designed to spin with the output shaft within the output shaft bearing cover. Should it be greased or anything?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-14-10, 12:17 AM   #2  
I've never heard of your mower, so I can't be of much help. Check back often and maybe someone here can answer accurately.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

06-15-10, 07:40 AM   #3  
Posted By: cheese I've never heard of your mower, so I can't be of much help. Check back often and maybe someone here can answer accurately.
Yeah, I get that a alot.

I have ordered the oil seal so hopefully that will fix the leak.

I am also curious as to what the owner's manual means by using "30W Transmission Oil" for the transmission case. I can locate "transmission fluid", but the weight and term "transmission oil" doesn't seem to be an industry standard. Could I simply use something like 30W motor oil in the transmission case? Isn't the only difference between transmission lubricant and engine lubricant the issue of heat?

Search this Thread