Craftsman 19.0 HP 42" Mower - gear shift problem

Old 06-13-10, 03:08 PM
Question Craftsman 19.0 HP 42" Mower - gear shift problem

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (approx. 10 years old) that is becoming harder to shift into any gear. Also when placed in Reverse it comes back out within a few seconds. Any idea on adjustments?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-10, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try soaking the bushing areas of the moving parts with penetrating oil, also soak the point where the shifter goes into the top of the transmission. Many of these have an adjustment screw on the side were the shifter connects to the linkage under the fender to get your reverse to shift more positively. Depends on which mower you have.

Old 06-14-10, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Try soaking the bushing areas of the moving parts with penetrating oil, also soak the point where the shifter goes into the top of the transmission. Many of these have an adjustment screw on the side were the shifter connects to the linkage under the fender to get your reverse to shift more positively. Depends on which mower you have.
Thank you. I will get to work with the penetrating oil and let you know how I make out when finished. It's raining right now, so it may be a while.