Briggs and Stratton

Old 06-14-10, 07:46 AM
Briggs and Stratton

Dear Sirs,
I have a small cultivator with a B&S OHV engine on it. Last year it ran like a top. This year I had to use starting fluid to start it. I decided to clean the carburator, new plug, and new 89 octane fuel. Now it starts and runs for 10 seconds(white smoke), backfires and starts spewing an oily gas mixture out of the carburator. I clean the plug, wait an hour, start it and it's the samething over again. The valves are not loose and the valve springs are not broken. Its a single cylinder so I'm assuming its one intake and one exhaust valve. Where is the oil coming from and how is it mixing with the gas? The machine is only a couple of years old so it hasn't been overworked. Thanks, JoeA

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-10, 07:54 AM
Post the engine model, type and code numbers. It sounds like you have gas in your oil, smell the oil to see if it smells like gas or is overfull. Depending on the type of carb the float could have gone bad and sunk which would let gas into the crankcase or some junk blocking the needle/seat. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-14-10, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info geogrubb. The number from the valve cover(where B&S tells you to look ) are 126402 and 0161-E1. I put these numbers into their website and the site will not accept the numbers. If I could get into their parts list, I might be-able to buy a carburator rebuilt kit. Thanks, JoeA

Old 06-14-10, 10:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 06-14-10, 10:10 AM
Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 126402-0161-E1

I can't help you with your problem but I googles the Briggs numbers you posted and the link above will take you to Parts Tree where you can view the part and the prices are on the bottom of the page. Good luck!

Old 06-14-10, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the websites for the parts. They could come in handy. The problem turned out to be more gas in the crankcase than oil. Someone had left the fuel valve on all winter. No dipstick to check the oil so I had to rely on visual. The engine valves have a rebreathing tube I guess for EPA reasons. Since the oil coming up to the valves had the consistency of water, it didn't take long for the mixture to find the carburator. I drained and went to a straight 30W and except for the governor surging quite a bit, it seems to be allright now. Thanks to all for the assist. JoeA