Stihl 011 restoration project continues

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-17-10, 09:50 AM
ikleiman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 92
Stihl 011 restoration project continues

After replacing the gas lines, the engine started but will still not keep running or start again without putting some gas in the carb. So I've decided to clean the carb, and if that doesn't work, rebuild it. But a few questions arose as I got deeper into it.

1. After removing the screws that hold the carb on the engine, I was still unable to disconnect the throttle cable. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to disassemble the handle and remove the cable? There is a small brass "paddle" on the cable end that looks like I should be able to turn it somehow and remove it from the carburetor, but I haven't been able to do this.

2. In the tank, there is a fuel line with something on the end (filter?) that seems to feed the fuel line going to the carb. Is that a filter on the end? Should it be replaced?

3. There are two gas lines, one goes to the carb and the other goes to a hole in the case (I think) near the engine. Why 2?

4. The new fuel lines that I bought have minor kinks in them, though the fuel flows. Could this be a problem?

Thanks for the help!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-17-10, 12:20 PM
BFHFixit's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA.
Posts: 1,836
Originally Posted by ikleiman View Post
After replacing the gas lines, the engine started but will still not keep running or start again without putting some gas in the carb. So I've decided to clean the carb, and if that doesn't work, rebuild it. But a few questions arose as I got deeper into it.

1. After removing the screws that hold the carb on the engine, I was still unable to disconnect the throttle cable. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to disassemble the handle and remove the cable? There is a small brass "paddle" on the cable end that looks like I should be able to turn it somehow and remove it from the carburetor, but I haven't been able to do this.
Try holding the throttle trigger while moving the "paddle" and throttle linkage on the carb so the cable stays put while you turn the linkage on the carb...you should find a place it will slide out on off...

Originally Posted by ikleiman View Post
2. In the tank, there is a fuel line with something on the end (filter?) that seems to feed the fuel line going to the carb. Is that a filter on the end? Should it be replaced?
Yes that would be the fuel filter. Generally if you can blow through it, it should be ok, but it is cheap insurance to change especially if you are changing fuel lines anyway.

Originally Posted by ikleiman View Post
3. There are two gas lines, one goes to the carb and the other goes to a hole in the case (I think) near the engine. Why 2?
The second line is the return line to the tank or vent or both.


Originally Posted by ikleiman View Post
4. The new fuel lines that I bought have minor kinks in them, though the fuel flows. Could this be a problem?

Thanks for the help!
It can be, if the lines are new and flexible they could seal themselves off at the kinks internally limiting fuel flow. If left that way as they age cracks and holes will develop at those points prematurely.

Clean the carb well and replace the gaskets and diaphragms will likely get you going.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes