Recoil Starter Problem

Old 06-17-10, 06:25 PM
Recoil Starter Problem

I'm having trouble with a 9HP snowblower engine that I believe to be Briggs&Stratton. I was trying to start it with the recoil pull start and pulled too hard. After that, the starter rope wouldn't go back in. I took the assembly off the rest of the engine and started to tool around. I wound the starter manually but when it gets to a certain point it clicks and the most of the tension is released and the rope won't go back in. Can anybody help? The housing for the spring and rope has RMI 2- on it..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-10, 08:19 PM
The spring has either broken or has come out of its little notch in there. You'll have to take it apart to fix it.

Old 06-18-10, 03:56 AM
how do i take it apart? there doesn't appear to be any visible screws.

Old 06-18-10, 08:20 AM
Your probaly best to post the engine numbers (usually near the spark plug) so the guys can tell for sure what you have for an engine. Roger

Old 06-18-10, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by gokarthelp View Post
how do i take it apart? there doesn't appear to be any visible screws.
You can not take it a part. This was stamped & pressed together. And there are no parts of the inner workings available.
This design was made for quick & cheap manufacturing, not for rebuildability. You are going to have to find a good used one or a new one. New is about $60.

Old 06-18-10, 03:45 PM
thanks for the input everyone. i've been able to get it started by hand (with some difficulty) but once i get it going it doesn't seem to have much idle before it just dies.