Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy bilt push mower problem??

VA

06-19-10, 11:39 AM   #1  
Troy bilt push mower problem??

Hi all,
I have this push mower with a 6.75 briggs on it that did not want to start. cleaned the carb and put back together and it will run but only on choke. Thinking an air leak somewhere so pulled carb again the oring seems fine and the intake gasket looked suspicious so sealed with some rtv for now but still the same.
The carb was varnished enough to where the fuel pickup in the bowl bolt was blocked.
125k02-0389 e1 is the numbers from motor, this has the automatic choke on it.
now there is a passage next to the main nozzle that does not seem to go anywhere, it lines up with a passage exiting the side of carb but is not connected, looks like a bowl vent but should not be in the main fuel nozzle area. there is already a vent in the top of carb that connects to a hole in the front of carb. This the briggs carb. any ideas?

Sponsored Links

OK

06-19-10, 02:38 PM   #2  
Ensure the bowl nut is squeaky clean, there is a very small passage right down thru the middle, with at least one, maybe two larger passages on the side of the nut, these all must be absolutely clean such that carb spray directed at any one, will come out the other(s).

VA

06-20-10, 03:26 AM   #3  
I have had the carb off three times and apart two times thinking I missed something, when there is not much to miss, a very simple carb.
Yeah I have missed the fuel jet holes in the bowl bolt before on another carb thinking the little cutout on the main jet tower would supply fuel but wrong, the plug doubles as the main jet.
I have even sprayed carb clean at the manifold looking for a crack/leak while it was running trying to find an air leak cause the symptoms could be either that or blocked fuel supply making it lean, and by choking the carb allowing it to run. But this manifold is plastic now, the older ones were the cast aluminum that used to crack where it bolted to the cylinder head, but nothing like that is wrong.
The only thing that is weird is the extra hole right next to the main nozzle that looks like it connects to a hole coming from the side of carb just above the float bowl. But it does not connect and I would not see why it would either but had to question it cause it being there makes no sense to me as this thing not running right makes no sense to me right now.
There should be an idle circuit somewhere but I do not see it.
the main circuit is the only one I see and it is all clear.
The oring where the carb mounts to the manifold looks real good and I got no change in engine speed when applying carb clean while running, so it should not be leaking.
Does anyone know if there is a schematic of this carb? That would help, the parts breakdowns do not really help.

MI

06-20-10, 04:05 AM   #4  
Take the carb back off, pull the jets and bowl and spray carb cleaner through all of the passages until is comes out of the ports in the throttle body. Don't be afraid to use a lot of cleaner it's cheap. Put it back together after you are sure all the passages are open. (Hi/lo Jets should be initially adjusted to 1 1/4 turn out and fine tuned after you start and warm up the machine) If you get it cleaned out real well I think you will be pleased with the result.

VA

06-20-10, 05:21 AM   #5  
Posted By: Backachers Take the carb back off, pull the jets and bowl and spray carb cleaner through all of the passages until is comes out of the ports in the throttle body. Don't be afraid to use a lot of cleaner it's cheap. Put it back together after you are sure all the passages are open. (Hi/lo Jets should be initially adjusted to 1 1/4 turn out and fine tuned after you start and warm up the machine) If you get it cleaned out real well I think you will be pleased with the result.
no adjustments available on this carb.
yeah I am missing something but what am not sure yet

VA

06-20-10, 07:50 AM   #6  
success!

thanks for all the encouragement

took that main jet out again and this time I polished it. seems maybe there was still some corrosion in the channel where the fuel must flow. the holes were open but....
anyhow it is running well, although this automatic choke thing I think hangs on just alittle too long until it warms up and opens choke blade. But it starts right up and runs rough cause of the choke and then eventually runs good.

Adjustment for the choke???

Non-US

06-20-10, 07:58 AM   #7  
From what I understand, you cleaned the carb with a spray cleaner, correct??? If so you still have a blockage that requires a soak in a bath type cleaner for 24 hrs or more,, the spray stuff only removes a light filim of old gas, not the varnish that gets built up over time... Get an actual carb soak cleaner & soak it for 24 hours with all the jets in it as well (& agitate the cleaner every 1/2 hour or so) then spray it with the carb cleaner & blow it out with compressed air & you should be good to go with a new kit.... Roger

Search this Thread