Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snapper rider axle removal help

NC

06-23-10, 12:14 PM   #1  
snapper rider axle removal help

I own a snapper model#25063 riding mower.The boots around the axle need replaced. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-26-10, 07:00 PM   #2  
Stand the mower up, remove the wheel and hub on the axle on the left side (right if you are facing it from the underside), remove the bolts holding the fender on that side, remove the shifter linkage where it connects to the small chaincase in the middle, pull the fender off...you may have to loosen the bearing lock ring on the axle if it has one, some do and some don't. Slide the thrust washers off of the axle, taking note of which way they were installed. Slide the small chaincase all the way down and off the axle. You may have to remove a brake cable to do this, depending on which setup you have. Then you can take the boot clamps off and replace the boots. Also fill the large and small chaincases with double ought grease (00 grease), clean the dirt off the axle and hex tube, grease the axle and hex tube, install new boots. I rarely recommend using aftermarket parts, but for this I recommend using boots from oregon parts company or ones that are made the same way, not OEM rubber boots that snapper sells. They don't last. Check the seals at the axles and the bushing/bearing in the fender you removed and replace if needed, replace the rubber driven disk if needed. Hope that helps.

I am moving and am without internet access for a while, so I may not be able to check back in to answer questions for a while. There are experts here who can help though. Good luck with it!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread