Pull cord will not retract on an Eager-1 one pull start

Old 06-26-10, 12:56 PM
Question Pull cord will not retract on an Eager-1 one pull start

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I borrowed a friend's Craftsman model# 917-387070 lawn mower which is equipped with an Eager-1 Pull Start starter. When I pulled the pull cord the third time the cord would not retract. I have disassembled the starter housing, but cannot find the problem. I have read elsewhere that, in other starters, this could be a broken spring. I cannot find any info of this being the case on the Eager-1 starters. Can somebody advise what the issue may be and how to fix it? I had to borrow the mower because I was short on cash, so I can't afford a repair shop. Please help! Thank you.

Last edited by Jeff_13; 06-26-10 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-10, 01:36 PM
After you remove the pull start assembly, I think it has 3 screws holding it on 1/4", try to turn the assembly by hand to see if it is binding or if there is no resistance which would indicate the spring is no longer attached or broken. If you take the starter assembly apart be sure to wear some eye protection, if the spring slips when it comes out of there it is like a greasy snake going in 10 directions at once. Have a good one. Geo.

Old 06-26-10, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to geo's info, you may have a recoil assy that is troublesome. I think it simply has a roll pin that goes through the assy, with a washer and spring that holds a cover over the pawls. If the spring has sprung, or if the roll pin has spread and the washer no longer holds the pawl cover/cam tight enough to the assy, it can be made to work again but will eventually give up.
A new starter/recoil assy is the best fix.

If that doesn't get you I can look up the part when I have more time....maybe give you some more info.

Old 06-26-10, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
After you remove the pull start assembly, I think it has 3 screws holding it on 1/4", try to turn the assembly by hand to see if it is binding or if there is no resistance which would indicate the spring is no longer attached or broken. If you take the starter assembly apart be sure to wear some eye protection, if the spring slips when it comes out of there it is like a greasy snake going in 10 directions at once. Have a good one. Geo.
Here's where I need the most help (thus far). I am holding the assembled starter in my hand, I have downloaded the manual on how it was put together. What I cannot figure out is how to disassemble it. I can see no screws or bolts and don't want to pry anything apart that shouldn't be pried apart. I am going to try and explain the best I can about what I am looking at (some of the scanned manual is blurred together). I cannot figure out how to remove the retainer (?) from the pulley and rewind spring assembly. I see from the manual there is a washer and spring pin in the way but cannot figure out how to remove them. I tried just pulling them out with a pair of pliers but that started to bend the spring pin so I stopped. Any thoughts?

Old 06-26-10, 02:24 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that there is NO tension in the starter when I manually wound it.

Old 06-26-10, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The roll pin that goes through the middle of the entire assy is what holds it all together.
If it will not recoil then the spring has sprung, and to take it apart and repair and get right in one try....well, I have yet to have any luck for them lasting or getting it in one try and I been turning wrenches for well over 25 years....however if you want to try it:
Here goes: (geo )
Find a punch or socket or similar tool that fits the roll pin. Support the starter such as on a vise, and punch the roll pin out of the middle. If you start from the inside of the starter assy, the pawl cover, washer and spring should come off before the roll pin is driven out completely.
Continue to drive the roll pin out as you choose keeping in mind the spring warning issued prior.
The spring can be replaced, a new roll pin and reassembled.
Personally I think I gave up after my 3rd try of returned problem, and just replace it.
Price has sure gone up but.....

Old 06-26-10, 05:04 PM
Go find a junk Tec motor somewhere, the pull start is the same on most of them. Save yourself dirt, damage and frustration. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-27-10, 04:32 AM
yeah they are a pain, can be done though.