Murray Lawn Tractor Transmission Problem

Old 06-28-10, 07:10 PM
Murray Lawn Tractor Transmission Problem

I recently got a murray lawn tractor from a man who had it sitting in his backyard for 8 years. It had four flat tires. I got it to run, and decided to see if it moved. I put it in reverse and it worked fine and so did all forward gears. Now for some reason reverse does not work but all forward gears do. Can anyone help me determine the problem or find parts? Also i need a new brake assembly because it stopped the tractor from even rolling and i had to take it off. the model number is 0-40603b Date 1220. Thanks in advance,

Al

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-10, 06:59 AM
Sounds like a shift linkage adjustment problem. After sitting a few years things are probably a bit rusted up.Crawl under the back of it and work the shifter to see if the linkage is allowing the transaxle to go all the way into reverse. If it worked once the gears are probably ok and the linkage is bound up. The brake assembly is pretty simple and a good soaking of the metal parts in WD-40 and a new set of brake pucks, which any small engine shop should have in stock will do the trick. Take that can of WD-40 or Break Away with you while you are checking the linkage and give everything metal that moves a shot.