Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pressure washer chemicals

VA

06-29-10, 06:10 PM   #1  
pressure washer chemicals

I'm a little late in my spring cleaning, but I need to do some pressure washing around the house - the deck, the driveway, and the vinyl siding. In the past, I've haven't used chemicals for the driveway or the deck and used M71 on the siding. I went today to buy some cleaning chemicals. They have all-purpose/multi-purpose cleaner, concrete and driveway cleaner, house and siding cleaner, and deck cleaner. If I'm doing all these things, should I just buy the multi-purpose cleaner? Is it one of those things where the multi-purpose will do them all but do none of them as well?

For the siding, I understand the cleaner helps remove dirt and mildew, but what about for the deck? Should I use chemical cleaner or just use the pressure from the pressure washer to clean it?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-30-10, 04:23 AM   #2  
The siding cleaner should work on the deck although I usually use a bleach/water solution - it's cheaper

What to use on the driveway is probably dependent on what needs to be cleaned off of it. Bleach will lighten and clean the concrete but it isn't very effective on oil stains.

I never run any cleaning agents thru my pressure washer! I usually apply the chemicals with a pump up garden sprayer and use the PWer to rinse with.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

07-24-10, 09:04 PM   #3  
Posted By: marksr
I never run any cleaning agents thru my pressure washer! I usually apply the chemicals with a pump up garden sprayer and use the PWer to rinse with.
why is that ? ................................

Non-US

07-24-10, 09:24 PM   #4  
Posted By: condo-owner why is that ? ................................
I'm thinking that he can spray it on & let the chemicals do their job,, Then rince them off after.. Just my thought,,, Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-25-10, 03:35 AM   #5  
First off I can get better control and a better concentration of the cleaning agent by spraying it thru a pump up garden sprayer than I can using the siphon feature on the pressure washer.

Second, [imo] the chemicals aren't good for the PWer so I save wear and tear on it. I'd rather have to replace a $25 garden sprayer than repair a $400 dollar pressure washer

The cleaning agent usually works best if you apply it and let it set and work [but not dry] and then use the PWer to rinse it off. Stubborn areas might need a 2nd treatment and/or some scrubbing.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

FL

07-25-10, 09:05 AM   #6  
Posted By: marksr First off I can get better control and a better concentration of the cleaning agent by spraying it thru a pump up garden sprayer than I can using the siphon feature on the pressure washer.

Second, [imo] the chemicals aren't good for the PWer so I save wear and tear on it. I'd rather have to replace a $25 garden sprayer than repair a $400 dollar pressure washer

The cleaning agent usually works best if you apply it and let it set and work [but not dry] and then use the PWer to rinse it off. Stubborn areas might need a 2nd treatment and/or some scrubbing.

You are correct in your thinking and using the best method for performing your cleaning chores.....

Search this Thread