Craftsman Riding Mower - Steering Problem

Old 06-30-10, 08:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Craftsman Riding Mower - Steering Problem

I have a Sears Craftsman riding mower model 917.254850. I am having a steering problem. I replaced a cracked bushing (pt # 155106). The mower turns left ok but when I try to turn right it will sometimes not turn even though the steering wheel is turning. There is a clicking sound as if slipping in the gear mechanism. I do not see any teeth missing steering on the shaft arm or on the gear sector. I have looked for evidence of a bent, cracked or broken part in the mechanism but could not see anything.
There is some play in the steering and a positional shift in the steering bracket when turning left or right. Turning left there is no separation in the alignment of the steering shaft and the steering bracket but there is some when the wheel is turned to the right.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

jonesg

Old 06-30-10, 04:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A very common problem on these is the support shaft bushing will crack. Hard to see the crack unless it is "under pressure" and opens. You might want to clean it, then watch it closely as some one else turns the wheel. The part number is 160395
Number 19 in this diagram.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0064390&blt=06

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: