Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower class action

NY

07-01-10, 06:01 AM   #1  
Mower class action

For those that don't know there is a class action web site for most lawn mowers, it seems that they all over stated their horse power.

https://lawnmowerclass.com/Online_Claim_Form_ADO.aspx

Sponsored Links

IN

07-01-10, 07:31 AM   #2  
Auto makers habitually overstate the towing capacity of their trucks and SUVs. There's no standard. You also have no specific idea how much torque a power tool will produce simply by observing a label indicating how much voltage it consumes. Again, no standard.

PA

07-01-10, 10:29 AM   #3  
Yes - I have read the news about it online. When you go to Sears and they state that a snow blower is 8hp one year and 8.5hp the following year (with the same engine) you have to realize that it's all about marketing and advertising. And, that is not picking on Sears because they all do it. How else can you state that your product is better than the other guys product.

I have seen a basic 150cc B&S engine rated everywhere from 4hp up to 6hp. They were 4hp around 20 years ago. Most new equipment today states that the HP rating is based on the manufacturers torque specification. I am certain that the new labels are a product of that class action lawsuit.

Steve

P.S. The consumer probably is entitled to a $20 gift certificate towards the purchase of certain new equipment, while the lawyers collected millions in actual cash.

PA

07-06-10, 05:52 AM   #4  
Posted By: 2ndgencamaro
P.S. The consumer probably is entitled to a $20 gift certificate towards the purchase of certain new equipment, while the lawyers collected millions in actual cash.

There are five Settlements being presented to the Court for approval:
• MTD Settlement: MTD settled for their cooperation but is paying no money into the Settlement Fund. MTD will conform
its power testing practices to the new Certified Power Rating standard.
• Honda Settlement: Honda will pay $7.5 million into the Settlement Fund.
• Kohler Settlement: Kohler will pay $3.5 million into the Settlement Fund. Kohler will also conform its power testing
practices to the new Certified Power Rating standard. In addition, Kohler will provide a one-year extended engine
warranty to all Class Members with Kohler engines in their lawn mowers.
• Kawasaki Settlement: Kawasaki will pay $3 million into the Settlement Fund. Kawasaki will also conform its power testing
practices to the new Certified Power Rating standard. In addition, Kawasaki will provide a one-year extended engine
warranty to all Class Members who currently own a lawn mower with a Kawasaki engine.
• Sears, Deere, Tecumseh, Briggs & Stratton, Toro, Electrolux, and Husqvarna Settlement: These Defendants will pay $51
million into the Settlement Fund. These Defendants will also conform their power testing practices to the new Certified
Power Rating standard. In addition, Briggs & Stratton, Toro or Tecumseh will provide a one-year extended engine
warranty to Class Members who currently own a lawn mower with an engine manufactured and originally warranted by
Briggs & Stratton, Toro, Tecumseh, or TecumsehPower.

Cash Benefits: If you are a Class Member and you submit a valid and timely claim (see Question 11), you could receive:
o Up to $35.00 for each walk-behind lawn mower you purchased.
o Up to $75.00 for each riding lawn mower you purchased

CAL

07-11-10, 08:46 PM   #5  
Thanks for the INFO...I KNEW NOTHING about it

TN

07-12-10, 07:51 AM   #6  
Posted By: 2ndgencamaro I have seen a basic 150cc B&S engine rated everywhere from 4hp up to 6hp. They were 4hp around 20 years ago. Most new equipment today states that the HP rating is based on the manufacturers torque specification. I am certain that the new labels are a product of that class action lawsuit.

Steve
Horsepower is never measured per se. Torque is measured and horsepower is calculated from it based on the product of torque and engine speed with appropriate unit conversion.

Search this Thread