briggs fiber flywheel gear

Old 07-02-10, 07:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
briggs fiber flywheel gear

my fly wheel was a fiber one and has several teeth missing so I took a aluminum one and remade it and rivited it onto the flywheel and it works as far as the starter part goes but now the engine is back firing and won't start
I put a new key when I reinstalled the flywheel
any ideas or help.
dick2256

Old 07-02-10, 08:30 PM
You didn't torque the flywheel nut enough & it's slipped on the crank... If you pull it apart, I'll bet the new key is sheared.. You can find the proper torque spec here http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...art_ms3992.pdf Let us know what you find & we'll get you going... Roger

Old 07-04-10, 05:52 AM
D
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2
You didn't torque the flywheel nut enough & it's slipped on the crank... If you pull it apart, I'll bet the new key is sheared.. You can find the proper torque spec here http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...art_ms3992.pdf Let us know what you find & we'll get you going... Roger
Thanks I will read the specks and torque, I was only guessing on the torque and it was sheared again will let you know in 4 or 5 more days I have the fiber flywheel gear off right now and have ordered an alumimum replacement the otherone was missing several teeth.
Dick2256

Old 07-04-10, 11:25 AM
D
flywheel nut

this thing is calling for 100 ft lbs or that is the way I am reading it.
280000 series single cilinder with overhead valves actual model # 287707 type 1273-E1
what is the best way to hold the flywheel while torqing that.
dick2256

Old 07-04-10, 09:46 PM
That torque figure is probably right,,,, I just use a strap wrench,, Kinda like an oil filter wrench but made of a seatbelt like material.. the one I have is really long for replacing air drier cartrages on transport trucks.. They're available @ most tool stores... Roger

Old 07-05-10, 07:06 AM
D
That torque figure is probably right,,,, I just use a strap wrench,, Kinda like an oil filter wrench but made of a seatbelt like material.. the one I have is really long for replacing air drier cartrages on transport trucks.. They're available @ most tool stores... Roger
ok thanks I will figure out someway to hold it.

Old 07-05-10, 07:46 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dick2256
ok thanks I will figure out someway to hold it.
Get the engine on the compression stroke, remove the spark plug, back the engine off to bottom of the stroke, fill the cylinder with small rope like starter rope leaving a little hanging out, now turn the engine in the direction you need to go until it stops, the engine is now locked and nothing get broken, when finished back it off a little and remove the rope. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: