Craftsman 7.8 HP Generator - Does Not Produce Electricity

Old 07-04-10, 03:01 PM
Unhappy Craftsman 7.8 HP Generator - Does Not Produce Electricity

I have a power generator that has been sitting for 3 years, it is in excellent condition. I bought it from a neighbor who bought it new 3 years ago when he started building his new house. Once the project was done it set in his garage until now. He purchased it for $650 new. I bought from him for $125. The reason he is selling it is because his wife and him both are moving out of state to live closer to they're grandchildren. Very nice couple and fine people. I stopped by they're house during there one day moving sale to see what he had and saw this generator that looked brand new. Started it on the first pull and it runs very very nice. But there is no electricity comming from the output. I tested it with a drill, then grabbed my circuit tester..nothing. I talked him down to $125...I hope i got a good deal, being as new as it is. I looked online and seen a couple sites that said that the generator had to be re-energized. so I followed the directions and built the device as instructed and still nothing. My next step is to hit the forums and start asking more questions. Anyone have any idea what could possibly be the problem. Below is all the info I could find from labels on the generator.

Label on front of Engine Pullstart Cover
-----------------------------------------
Craftsman 7.8 HP
Overhead Valve Industrial

Label on side of Engine Pullstart Cover
-------------------------------
Model 580.327140
Serial 6948771
Volt 120/240
Amps 35.0/17.5
Watts 4200
DC Volts 12
DC Amps 10
Phase 1
RPM 3600

Label on Engine Block
---------------------------
Generac Corp
Engine Ident. No. EHC-00952-2
Serial No. 7393172

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Product Design Engineer(Now), I was an auto mechanic for 10 years before I went back to school so I do have a pretty healthy mechanical background. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-10, 10:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I assume by re-energized, you are referring to flashing the field. There are a few different methods I have read of, could you explain in brief how you did this?

Did you use a DC power source?

Old 07-05-10, 10:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here is an oldie but goodie thread on flashing the field.
http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...tml#post671070