Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Harmony Lawn Mover Self-Propelled

TX

07-05-10, 12:46 PM   #1  
Honda Harmony Lawn Mover Self-Propelled

Does anyone know what it will cost to fix the self-propelled drive on a Honda Harmony II lawn mower??? Also if anyone has had experience working or fixing a situation like this I would love to learn how to do it myself.

A couple of places have quoted me about $200.00 (+) to fix this and I bought this brand new for about $400.00. Doesn't seem worth the money if this is a reasonable price.

Kind regards,

BWC

Sponsored Links

NJ

07-06-10, 06:48 PM   #2  
I want to know also

I have a HRM215K3SDA (3spd gear-drive self-propelled) and I have a sinking feeling that I am due for the same repair. I checked my local honda power dealer and he also quoted $200 (120 part, 85 labor) to replace the transmission. Please tell me if yours has the same drive symptoms as mine. If I hoist the rear end of the mower in the air and squeeze the drive clutch bar, the wheels turn just fine. If I then lower the rear end onto the ground so the drive has to start doing some useful work, the wheels start and stop and at the same time I hear kind of a thunk - thunk - thunk noise. It might be belt slipping but I don't hear any squealing at all. Lift the *ss end up again, wheels turn again fine. I removed the rear wheels, and both gear rings on the plastic wheels look fine, the drive cog gears on the frame that contact the wheel gear rings look fine too. I replaced the drive belt last month, after that the self-propelled worked ok for one, maybe two mowings; then back to missing / slipping / not grabbing. So I figure it's one of two things: either the belt clutch setup isn't applying enough force, or the transmission is somehow failing in a way that adds a lot of resistance and the belt drive does not have enough power to overcome the new resistance as well as the weight of the mower. Thanks I hope to hear more.

PA

08-01-10, 10:08 AM   #3  
Honda Harmony drive problem

I used to work part time for a honda dealer some years back and I remember they had a problem on the harmony where the drive pulley on the engine was wearing causing belt slippage. I dont know how old your machine is. Its been about 11 or 12 years since I worked there so this may not be relevant to your machine.

NJ

08-01-10, 12:14 PM   #4  
Worn pulley?

Hi, thanks for the reply. How would I recognize a worn pulley? I didn't think of that. Just recently I compared the problem mower against a mower with a nicely functioning self-propel transmission, after pulling a rear wheel on both and twisting the exposed gear. On the WORKING tranny, I can only twist the gear the direction that it ratchets; the other way is impossible. On the PROBLEM tranny, I can twist the gear BOTH directions. One direction it ratchets; the other direction it moves with difficulty and I hear faint noise from the tranny. I don't think I should be able to turn it backwards. So I really suspect worn gears or other parts inside the tranny. But of course I could be complete misinterpreting the evidence.

Search this Thread