Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stihl fs 55

KY

07-07-10, 08:34 AM   #1  
stihl fs 55

I have a stihl fs55 it seems to be an older model with only 1 screw on the carb and it is reverse threaded. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the plug, no I have trouble starting the thing, it dies on throttling and just does not want to start. Once I get it started it runs fine, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to tune the carb with only one screw and should that screw have a spring on it?

Sponsored Links

MO

07-07-10, 01:24 PM   #2  
No Spring.
STANDARD SETTING:
Mount Cutting Tool.
Carefully turn the screw counterclockwise(left handed threads) to seat.
Now open 2(two) full turns clockwise.

ENGINE STOPS WHILE IDLING.
Turn the screw clockwise until the engine runs smoothly.
The cutting tool must not turn.

CUTTING TOOL ROTATES WHEN ENGINE IS IDLING.
Turn the screw counterclockwise until the cutting tool stops rotating then turn the screw one additional full turn in the same direction.

ERRATIC IDLING BEHAVIOR AND POOR ACCELERATION
Turn the screw counterclockwise no more than one half turn.

Have a good one. Geo

MO

07-07-10, 07:02 PM   #3  
There are those who disagree, however, I suggest using the original metering arm, unless it was very worn, as it has the proper height setting. Also while you have it running spray carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along all crankcase mating surfaces, if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak and can take the appropriate action. Have a good one. Geo

KY

07-08-10, 10:30 AM   #4  
Thanks. I will try it out this weekend.

Search this Thread