Question to experienced Lawn-Boy disassemblers

Old 07-08-10, 07:34 AM
Question to experienced Lawn-Boy disassemblers

Lawnboy 21, Model: 8237
Serial no.: 9499348

Referencing this image

I need to replace the pulley (#45 609457 PULLEY-STARTER), which is split in two.

It's supposed to be a simple task: loosen set screw (603345 SET SCREW), slide out starter, replace part, slide back in, tighten set screw.

The problem is that in the past someone totally stripped the set screw head. If it was hex head before it's just a round hole now.

I tried to turn it out with an EZ-Out without much success.

I already attempted to access it from below by removing the motor from the deck but, for now, a broken MOWER DECK BLADE ADAPTER has delayed that plan.

I can't really tell based on the exploded diagram alone. To anyone of you with plenty of experience assembling/disassembling Lawn-Boys, leaving the motor attached to the deck, will it be possible for me to remove sufficient parts in the surrounding area that I'll be able to get pliers or vise grips around the outside of that setscrew?

Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 08:05 AM
No you will need to drill it out sorry!

AJ

Old 07-08-10, 08:50 AM
Thanks for responding..
..but I don't even see how that makes sense. The accessibility that one would need to drill it out would allow you to instead just grab and turn with a pair of pliers or vise grips as I was asking.