Riding mower - Charging voltage climbs to 16.1?

Old 07-09-10, 09:14 AM
Riding mower - Charging voltage climbs to 16.1?

Craftsman LT1000 B&S 17.5 Intek I/C (Not the extended service model)

So the nephews were visiting from Chicago and as always are facinated by yard equipment. I let them use my rider as a Go cart as per usual and started noticing starting problems.

I know that the starting issue is caused by the clutch pedal physically binding on ? and causing limited contact at the clutch pedal 'switch to ignition.' That's fixable.

But while I was testing the battery I read 12.6 on the battery while the engine was not running. I started it up and read 13.1. I know that's good to read on a car at least. But then it started climbing very steadily. The engine operates at a fixed RPM but the reading continued to climb over the course of 20 minutes before settling at 16.18.

So my question -Is this out of normal range for a small engine charging system? The battery doesn't get hot and the ammeter reads normal.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 12:23 PM
sounds like the voltage regulator is going bad.

Old 07-10-10, 06:24 PM
Why couldn't you have just said "That's a good thing." or "You can sell that extra power to the electric company."
Why's it always gotta be something negative?

Any how that's what I figured, I don't know why I thought small engine charging setups were different. It's still 12v based.
Thanks for the reply.