Featherlite Weedeater carb woes

Old 07-13-10, 08:00 AM
Featherlite Weedeater carb woes

Hello all! I am new to this site, and really hoping for some assistance. I will hit you with the basics.
18cc, with Chinese carb. At most would start & immediately die.
Checked and cleaned fuel filter & lines.
Purchased carb kit. Disassembled and thoroughly cleaned carb. Reassembled. Same problem. Took back apart. Removed welch plug to get to idle ports. Installed new welch plug. No better. Obtained plastic caps to be able to remove mixture screws. Removed (dropped) one is slightly longer than the other. Tried in both location, and with multiple adjustments. "Now" immediately floods and no start. I obviously "bothered" something.
Removed and cleaned & gapped plug. Started to think maybe the fuel was too diluted. Drained and added 2-cycle oil to fresh gas. I even added a dew drops into the cylinder due to being previously flooded now. Pulled like it was going to start, first couple pulls. Flooded. You just got the short story. Carb has been apart several times. Cylinder oiled several times. No longer remember which mixture screw I last put where (for the high and low/longer/shorter).
The worst part? I have rebuilt thousands of carbs in the automotive industry for years as that is one of my trades. I am beginning to think this weedwhacker is 2 stokes short of me understanding!

Last edited by wagonman; 07-13-10 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Left out information
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-10, 08:33 AM
Have you checked to see if your spark arrestor in the muffler is clogged? The engine will not run with a plugged spark arrestor. They start, then die.

Old 07-13-10, 10:48 AM
Of the two needles, the longer one is the L needle and screws into carb port closest to engine.
Sounds like the metering lever is set too high. should have just used the old one.
hth