Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to reinstall front wheel dust cap

NC

07-14-10, 05:10 PM   #1  
how to reinstall front wheel dust cap

is there a secret to installing the dust caps on a riding mower front wheel. I removed the wheel to look at the grease fitting because every time i put grease in the fitting on the wheel after 4 or 5 squirts of grease it starts coming out at the base of the fitting, kind of like it is suppose to be that way maybe to keep the grease from pushing the dust cap off, does that make sense. Anyway if someone could tell me an easy way to get that dust cap back on id sure appreciate it.....thanks

Sponsored Links

OK

07-14-10, 07:53 PM   #2  
are you talking about the hard plastic ones, or, the pliable kind ??

NC

07-15-10, 05:07 AM   #3  
they are the pliable kind but very hard to get back on over that large washer, the edges bump into that washer and when i try to push it on it just kind of turns back in on itself. Just wondering if i can take a hooked tool and pull back on one side after getting the other side on

OK

07-15-10, 11:16 AM   #4  
You're right, they can be a real booger to get back on. I've found they're easier to get back in hot weather, the material is a little more stretchy and pliable. I've had some that went right on and [email protected]#$%
Generally, I get as much over the washer as I can, then start twisting and pushing at the same time. Maybe a little bit of oil on the inside might help.
As for me, not an expert, it comes down to use any trick you can think of, a little hook to pull out fold would help...
hth

NC

07-15-10, 01:30 PM   #5  
ok thanks i got it back on by putting a block of wood against it and tapping it with a hammer. I guess the flat pc of wood put equal pressure on it and the force of the impact poped it back on before the air could escape....WOW i feel like a genius....lol

OK

07-15-10, 01:42 PM   #6  
And it was the soft, pliable, rubbery, stretchy kind ??

FL

07-18-10, 05:04 PM   #7  

I know this thread is a few days old but for reference, Use a hair dryer to warm the hardened plastic/rubber cap and they will slide right back on....

Search this Thread