05 Troy Bilt Bronco lawn Tractor Not Starting

Old 07-19-10, 09:48 PM
05 Troy Bilt Bronco lawn Tractor Not Starting

My brother was cutting grass with it he said it started loaping like it was running out of gas and his eyes started burning. It died on him in the middle of the yard and he couldn't get it restarted. I know it is getting compression and spark so i bet it is the carb but what could it be? I have unscrewed the bowl from the bottom but I am lost it is all greek to me but I am good at directions. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and some starting fluid which made it start for a second or two. This mower has been nothing but trouble the whole time I had it. POS. What should I do to get her running again?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-10, 10:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You did put fresh fuel in it?
What engine do you have?

Could try pulling the fuel line at the fuel pump if you have one, or the carb if not and make sure you have fuel flow to that point.

If you ran it out of fuel it could be as simple as some weak hoses and or parts need primed. Also could be some crud in the bottom of the tank made it into the fuel system plugging sumin.

Was there fuel in the bowl when you removed it?

Old 07-20-10, 10:52 AM
It is the 18.5 intek B&S motor. It did have fuel in the bowl and fuel was passing through the line which seems to be gravity fed. Tank looks clean but what do I need to do to clean out the tank? I don't think that is it but...

Thanks

JOhn

Old 07-20-10, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by 99svtgreensnake View Post
My brother was cutting grass with it he said it started loaping like it was running out of gas and his eyes started burning. It died on him in the middle of the yard and he couldn't get it restarted. I know it is getting compression and spark so i bet it is the carb but what could it be? I have unscrewed the bowl from the bottom but I am lost it is all greek to me but I am good at directions. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and some starting fluid which made it start for a second or two. This mower has been nothing but trouble the whole time I had it. POS. What should I do to get her running again?
That being said, it was running rich. Check the float setting, the needle for a piece of dirt stuck in it, and check the float to make sure it does float. (put it in a small container of gas for an hour). Also check the air filter and make sure it is not plugged up. Wouldn't be a bad idea to install a new spark plug.

Old 07-20-10, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can dribble a tablespoon of gas or so in the carb and it fires for a few seconds, and you have fuel in the bowl, then, I would think you have a restriction in the carb.
Possibly a fuel solenoid too....which you likely have.
If you could post some model numbers, specifically for the engine it would be of great help to those/us/me in making a better diagnosis.

You could also check your oil level and see if it is overfull and or smells of gas to follow up on Indy's thoughts.

Old 07-20-10, 08:30 PM
It is a 2005 troy Bilt Bronco with the Intek Briggs and Straton 18.5 hp motor.

The Mower model is 13AJ609G766 Bronco (2005)

The Motor is: B&S 31P777-0293-E2

I hope this helps and thank you for your input so far. I sure hope it isn't the solenoid haha it is like $60 and it is very very small! Cheaper than a new mower though...

Old 07-21-10, 08:54 PM
OK I put a little gas in it and it will start but dies very quickly. Here is another strange issue this thing will not charge a battery. A few years after I purchased it it stopped charging the battery and one have a clue about that?