Mower lead battery storage.

Old 12-05-00, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I own my first battery started rider mower. I just bought a new battery a month ago and I park the mower in a unheated storage shed. I leave a computerchip battery charger on it all the time. This charger is the small 2lb type of charger that stops charging when the battery is charged, etc. Is is safe to store all winter this way?

My thinking is that when the temperature drops, the battery voltage will drop also, thus causing the charger to resume charging. While charging, the battery's temperature will be above freezing due to the heat produced when charging a lead battery. My theory is that the battery will not freeze. Also, battery acid has a lower freezing point than water which helps prevent freezing. For example, car batterys never freeze up unless they are completely discharged. In spite of all my genious type thinking here, what is the recommended practice for mower battery during the winter in the midwest?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-00, 08:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi:Mark

Interesting question you posted. It's been more then 25 years since I went to battery school, <Yes, there is such a school> so I'll be drawing my reply from old memory...hahaha

The trickle charger should maintain enough heat during charging of the battery to balance out the voltage drop do to the cold temperature. Therefore, all should go well.

In this part of the country, we do not get weather below freezing very often. Certainly nothing like the cold and snow in your area. So I wouldn't have an experience with maintaining a battery under the same conditions.

However, your the perfect candidate to run this type of test and report back here in my forum the results come spring...:-) Many others who visit this forum would be interested in knowing what happens too.

Take the duration of the winter season off, good luck and see you back here come spring.

TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 12-06-00, 06:13 AM
Cool

Like Tom, it doesn't get down below freezing here very often. If it is going to stay below freezing for more then 3 consecutive days, you will want to remove the battery and bring it inside, and out of the cold. I keep my batteries on a "Battery Tender" year around, even during the summer when they get used weekly. When not in use they are hooked up. My batteries last 4-5 years, when most other peoples make it only one year. NOTE: Keep a good eye on the fluid level, and add as often as it needs it. Keep it full.

Old 12-06-00, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you both for your replies. I will consider which way to go as winter passes, but for now, I am leaning in favor of leaving the trickle charger on it and leaving in in the shed year round. If I ruin it, at least I will learn it first hand.

I collected my thoughts a little since my post and now I recall that battery acid won't freeze as long as it is battery acid. So the heat produced from charging is not responsible for preventing the battery from freezeing. What I mean is that battery acid turns into basically water when there is no longer any charge, and that is when it can freeze, just as any water will freeze. My idea is to keep it charged thus keeping it an acid which won't freeze. Of course this won't predict the overall life of the battery.

I was glad to hear that these mower batteries can last up to 5 years! I was expecting to replace it once a year. I also like the tip about keeping water in the battery. That may turn out to be the best suggestion yet, since the battery will be under constant trickle charge, it may lose water more than I am used to with a car battery.

I will let the forum know the results next spring.

Mark

Old 12-20-00, 10:24 AM
dvets
Visiting Guest
Smile

I usually remove the battery for the winter and charge it for 24 hours on a standard charger, I use the 2a setting. I then put it on the shelf in the basement for the remainder of the winter. IN spring I give it another good charge and put it back in the mower. My batteries last 4-5 years aas well. Good Luck

Search this Thread