No spark on Jonsered

Old 07-23-10, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No spark on Jonsered

Hi Guys,, I have an older Jonsered 625 chain saw Serial # 2370099.. It came to me as a no start & I found it had no spark.. I tried the plug, disconnected the kill wire, grounded the coil in case it was a Ground to run type, checked the magnets in the flywheel & anything else I could think of.. Still had no spark.. I got a coil (Part #544 01 84 01) from the Husky /Jonsered dealer in the next town & installed it with 0.10" air gap (or maybe even less) & I still have no spark.. I rechecked the kill circuit & with it disconnected or with it grounded I have no spark,, I'm told I can't return the coil because it's an electronic part, but I kinda hate to order another $90 coil in case I'm missing something.... This saw does have the later style one peice ignition system... Is there anything I'm missing here??? Thanks lots everyone... Roger

Old 07-23-10, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
are you using a new plug, known to be good? Are you grounding the plug to metal when checking? If it does not spark with the kill wire disconnected, a proper air gap, a good plug, and sufficient cranking rpm, then the coil is bad. They should return a coil for a chainsaw...there's nothing you can do to ruin it since there is no battery voltage available to short it with.

Old 07-24-10, 07:59 PM
Thanks Cheese,, I tried the plug new from a box & the one from my lawnmower & they are grounded to the steel on the engine..(cooling fins of the cylinder).. I also tried my air gap type tester & nothing,, I tried a ""Noid"" light type of tester & nothing... I got another $90.00 coil today (as they say I can't return electronic parts) & installed with 0.10 air gap & tested & I had spark,, For a moment... Now nothing again... I have the kill wire off & it cranks @ the speed I pull the rope that starts any other saws I work on...Is anyone aware of issues with these coils??? I'm into it for 180.00 now & I still think I need a coil unless someone has any tips on these,,, I really have a hard time believing that 2 new coils from the dealer can be faulty,, but what's left??? Thanks lots,,, Roger

Old 07-24-10, 08:42 PM
Roger,

While it's not very common to have two bad coils back to back it can happen, I would suggest taking this saw and both coils back to this dealer and let them see for themselves.

We have a no electrical part return policy as well, But....If the customer brings the unit in so we can see it we will make it right with them.

Old 07-24-10, 10:43 PM
Thanks 31,, I think i'll take your advice & ship the saw to the dealer where I got the parts from.. I don't mind paying to find out if I missed something & @ the same time they can verify the coil operation,,,, If they find something I missed, it will be a lesson well learned... I'll let you know what they find... Roger

Old 08-08-10, 09:28 PM
I got the saw back from the dealer I got the coil from,, They said spark was'nt an issue, They had to replace the carb kit that I installed just a week before.. When I questioned them about it they said the spark was fine but they asked if I removed the welsh plugs when I installed the carb kit... I didn't & they told me that no one does & that is the problem... I guess I shouldn"t trust spark plugs & 2 different types of spark testers grounded to cylinder head fins anymore,, However, after $120.00 I do have a saw that runs for the gentleman that brought it to me & lessons learned,, Thanks for the help Guys... Roger

Old 08-08-10, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
I wasn't expecting that one, lol. So it had spark all along? I wonder why you didn't see it? Some coils require a fair cranking speed to get spark. Think maybe you weren't pulling it fast enough? Anyway, glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update!

Old 08-09-10, 09:04 AM
Hey Roger, Maybe a new pair of is in order ? haha !

All jokes aside, I can't help but think with the different ways you checked for spark there were coil issues. That shop just didn't want to install a new coil for nothing thus drumming up the bogus carb issue.

And at a 120 bux they surly covered their time since we only charge half that on 2 cycle carb rebuilds.

Anyway, I'm sure your glad to have that one out of your hair.....

Cya

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: