No spark on Jonsered

Old 07-23-10, 08:12 PM
No spark on Jonsered

Hi Guys,, I have an older Jonsered 625 chain saw Serial # 2370099.. It came to me as a no start & I found it had no spark.. I tried the plug, disconnected the kill wire, grounded the coil in case it was a Ground to run type, checked the magnets in the flywheel & anything else I could think of.. Still had no spark.. I got a coil (Part #544 01 84 01) from the Husky /Jonsered dealer in the next town & installed it with 0.10" air gap (or maybe even less) & I still have no spark.. I rechecked the kill circuit & with it disconnected or with it grounded I have no spark,, I'm told I can't return the coil because it's an electronic part, but I kinda hate to order another $90 coil in case I'm missing something.... This saw does have the later style one peice ignition system... Is there anything I'm missing here??? Thanks lots everyone... Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-10, 10:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
are you using a new plug, known to be good? Are you grounding the plug to metal when checking? If it does not spark with the kill wire disconnected, a proper air gap, a good plug, and sufficient cranking rpm, then the coil is bad. They should return a coil for a chainsaw...there's nothing you can do to ruin it since there is no battery voltage available to short it with.

Old 07-24-10, 06:59 PM
Thanks Cheese,, I tried the plug new from a box & the one from my lawnmower & they are grounded to the steel on the engine..(cooling fins of the cylinder).. I also tried my air gap type tester & nothing,, I tried a ""Noid"" light type of tester & nothing... I got another $90.00 coil today (as they say I can't return electronic parts) & installed with 0.10 air gap & tested & I had spark,, For a moment... Now nothing again... I have the kill wire off & it cranks @ the speed I pull the rope that starts any other saws I work on...Is anyone aware of issues with these coils??? I'm into it for 180.00 now & I still think I need a coil unless someone has any tips on these,,, I really have a hard time believing that 2 new coils from the dealer can be faulty,, but what's left??? Thanks lots,,, Roger

Old 07-24-10, 07:42 PM
Roger,

While it's not very common to have two bad coils back to back it can happen, I would suggest taking this saw and both coils back to this dealer and let them see for themselves.

We have a no electrical part return policy as well, But....If the customer brings the unit in so we can see it we will make it right with them.

Old 07-24-10, 09:43 PM
Thanks 31,, I think i'll take your advice & ship the saw to the dealer where I got the parts from.. I don't mind paying to find out if I missed something & @ the same time they can verify the coil operation,,,, If they find something I missed, it will be a lesson well learned... I'll let you know what they find... Roger

Old 08-08-10, 08:28 PM
I got the saw back from the dealer I got the coil from,, They said spark was'nt an issue, They had to replace the carb kit that I installed just a week before.. When I questioned them about it they said the spark was fine but they asked if I removed the welsh plugs when I installed the carb kit... I didn't & they told me that no one does & that is the problem... I guess I shouldn"t trust spark plugs & 2 different types of spark testers grounded to cylinder head fins anymore,, However, after $120.00 I do have a saw that runs for the gentleman that brought it to me & lessons learned,, Thanks for the help Guys... Roger

Old 08-08-10, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wasn't expecting that one, lol. So it had spark all along? I wonder why you didn't see it? Some coils require a fair cranking speed to get spark. Think maybe you weren't pulling it fast enough? Anyway, glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update!

Old 08-09-10, 08:04 AM
Hey Roger, Maybe a new pair of is in order ? haha !

All jokes aside, I can't help but think with the different ways you checked for spark there were coil issues. That shop just didn't want to install a new coil for nothing thus drumming up the bogus carb issue.

And at a 120 bux they surly covered their time since we only charge half that on 2 cycle carb rebuilds.

Anyway, I'm sure your glad to have that one out of your hair.....

Cya

Search this Thread