Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

are kohler engines good ?

IL

07-24-10, 09:22 PM   #1  
are kohler engines good ?

i just bought a pressure washer. husky 2600 psi. kohler ohv 173cc engine.

i want this machine to last. so i am begining my research.
yeah, i know, should have done the research BEFORE buying.
but you know how that goes

Sponsored Links

Non-US

07-24-10, 09:28 PM   #2  
The Kohler engine will easily outlast the pump... & probably several replacement pumps as well... Roger

IL

07-24-10, 09:40 PM   #3  
someone, that i trust, on another forum. said that they are ....well.... i can't say what they said about the kohler engine.

when the pump goes. what is it that goes ?

Non-US

07-24-10, 09:57 PM   #4  
I don't understand,, You ask for info,,You find info somewhere else & tell us "you can't say what they said about a Kohler engine"" If you want to know about the pump,, post some model numbers or ask your friend that has the info you can't share.. If it's honest info you have i'm sure The members here would like to know about it.... good or bad.... Roger

IL

07-24-10, 10:29 PM   #5  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 I don't understand,, You ask for info,,You find info somewhere else & tell us "you can't say what they said about a Kohler engine"" If you want to know about the pump,, post some model numbers or ask your friend that has the info you can't share.. If it's honest info you have i'm sure The members here would like to know about it.... good or bad.... Roger
i don't understand either.

are you saying i can ONLY ask on just 1 forum ? and if i ask on more than one forum, i am disrespecting those on this forum ?

ok, the other "friend" said the kohler engine is donkey pudd.
my wording would indicate something along these lines, i guess you didn't get that.

i don't take anyones replies as gospel. i ask around as much as reasonably possible. add them all up. then make a decision = right or wrong. but, there are those that i trust much more than most. i have been on the www for over 15 years . you get to know/trust some people in this time. they hold more weight. but that doesn't make them god. so i keep asking.

so, let me ask you. am i a bad guy for that ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-25-10, 12:49 AM   #6  
I do the same... gather lots of input and try to get an average idea about the issue I'm researching.

I like kohler engines. They are used on a lot of commercial equipment and the better consumer grade pieces as well. Usually kohlers outlast the equipment they are bolted to. I am not so familiar with the horizontal shaft engines they make... I don't get to see many of them. I think the best horizontal shaft engines out there are made by Honda, but I wouldn't be scared of a kohler at all.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-25-10, 03:42 AM   #7  
my 2 cents

I used to work for an outfit that had 4 grayco airless pumps that were powered by 16 hp kohlers. We sprayed 1500-2500 gallons a paint per week. While the spray pumps required regular maintainence, the gas motors rarely needed attention.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-25-10, 04:03 AM   #8  
Kohler engines are heavy. They will, by far, outlast the pump. What will go on the pump? The seals, rings, basically anything that moves in the pump will not last as long at the engine. HOWEVER, with that said, you should get a long service life from your pressure washer. You have already seen what it will do on your patio.
After my dad's garden tractor (with a Kohler engine) fell apart, piece by piece.....tranny, axles, drive shafts, steering....he sold the engine for nearly half what he paid for the tractor nearly 20 years earlier. The guy who bought it said Kohlers were simple to rebuild and solid.

FL

07-25-10, 04:38 AM   #9  
I would like to see a unit brand and model numbers posted before commenting.....

IL

07-25-10, 06:38 AM   #10  
the first one.
home depot power washer - Google Product Search
wow. i just read all the reviews, not good. but, how many people post good replies. as oppossed to those that post bad replies. this is not unusual for any product. so the reviews have to be taken with a grain. 500 happy customers, 2 happy reviews. 5 unhappy reviews, and 5 bad reviews. i am sure you know what i mean.

the only problem i had with it, was that a few times it lost pressure for a minute. idk why. seemed like it was loosing feed pressure, i am 99% sure it wasn't.

i could have gotten a, what looked like, a WELL used ridgid, the 4th one. for $390. but it was missing a few parts, and looked WELL used = wheels were well worn. and other things had scratches.

FL

07-25-10, 08:50 AM   #11  
Well,

I would worry about the pump more than the engine....

You can't get repair parts for the pump, When it stops spraying you replace the whole thing. But....Luckly a new pump is in the $50 range.

Advice;

Do NOT use the chemical jug/applicator feature, Get a pesticide pump-up spray bottle to apply your cleaners.

Cleaners eat at/corrode the internal aluminum pump housing passages and can cause COMPLETE blockage forcing pump replacement.

Even not using the chemical applicator system, When finish using the machine tilt it back on the handle and spray WD40 into the pressure hose out-let and water hose inlet.

Doing this will reduce internal corrosion from chlorine/chemicals in city water or hard iron/sulfur in well water.

I replaced three pumps on these units last month, All due to internal corrosion from sitting after use.

Good Luck

IL

07-25-10, 12:02 PM   #12  
thanx for all the replies/advice. that is why i love this place.

i just found an issue. it has a gas leak, leaving a baseball size spot on my patio. i will look at it shortly. and see if i should fix it. or take it back and get a honda engine.

YTech

when you replaced the pumps. did you see evidence of engine oil seals leaking ?

IL

07-25-10, 12:30 PM   #13  
i just looked at it. there are 2 plugs on the float bowl, 1 on the bottom, other on the side'ish. the bottom one was tight. the side one was just a tick loose. i am going to run it to hopefully clean off the gas spots it left,

FL

07-25-10, 12:56 PM   #14  
Posted By: condo-owner when you replaced the pumps. did you see evidence of engine oil seals leaking ?

No leaks of any kind, Not even water. Just zero pressure, Couldn't even get water hose pressure to pass through the pumps due to blockage.

I tried to clean/blow out the first one without success so the other two were automatic replacement when water hose pressure was non existent.....

IL

07-25-10, 01:26 PM   #15  
the patio is drying. but it looks like the spots are still there.

any advice on getting gas off ? i tried brake cleaner, no luck.

2 steps up, 1 step back. sheeesh.

FL

07-25-10, 02:09 PM   #16  
Try some carb & choke cleaner, Any brand but Gumout....

IL

07-25-10, 07:45 PM   #17  
ok. i just tried hog wash. letting it dry.

IL

07-25-10, 08:24 PM   #18  
didn't work at all.

i am going to get some oil dry, and grind it in with my shoe.

NJ

07-27-10, 11:58 AM   #19  
Posted By: condo-owner i just bought a pressure washer. husky 2600 psi. kohler ohv 173cc engine.

i want this machine to last. so i am begining my research.
yeah, i know, should have done the research BEFORE buying.
but you know how that goes
As far as pressure washers go I have always heard to go with Kohler or Honda for the engines, they seem to be the most reliable. I've had a 2x00 PSI Honda for a few years now and have never had an issue. The one thing I always suggest is a gas powered one as opposed to those lower powered 1300 PSI electrics, they seem to crap out.

MD

07-29-10, 04:06 PM   #20  
Kohler

I picked up two riding mowers from a guy who had abandoned them and left them sitting in the woods next to his house for something like five years. One was an old Craftsman with a Kohler M-18 and the other was a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. The two guys who helped me retrieve them took one look and advised me to junk the Craftsman and concentrate on the John Deere.
That was a year and a half ago. I'm still using the Craftsman today. I just scrapped the John Deere. Never did get it running.
The Craftsman I compare to an old high class prost...lady of the evening. She might be high maintenance but she's really good at her job.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-29-10, 07:17 PM   #21  
If the kawy on that john deere is one of the older 14 or 16 HP, I bet it could be revived and live as long as the magnum....which is also an great engine.

Beer 4U2

MI

07-30-10, 07:41 AM   #22  
I rebuild on a lot of lawn/garden tractors and have found the Kohler engines to be pretty much bullet proof. I get to repair a lot of Briggs engines but never have to work on the Kohlers. I have two John Deeres I use on the farm one with a Kohler 23 hp v-twin and another 14hp single cylinder in a 1973 JD 140 H-3 and I believe they will both outlast me.
Backachers

IL

07-31-10, 07:44 AM   #23  
thanx,guys

i have desided to keep the machine. i want to fix the leak.
there are 2 plugs of the float bowl. i am assuning the bottom one is the drain (?). the one on the side, 45deg angle, is the one that is leaking. what is that one for ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-31-10, 10:15 AM   #24  
That one is the drain. The one on the bottom holds the bowl on.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

07-31-10, 07:25 PM   #25  
Posted By: cheese That one is the drain. The one on the bottom holds the bowl on.
AH, thanx. didn't think of that. i guess i would have figured that out if i had looked at it better = far sighted =

IL

08-01-10, 05:51 PM   #26  
i took the plug out. the gasket is a pretty hard material, but looked ok. so i just tighened it down good. no more leak.

i have yet to get off the stain this leak left on my patio :sad:

MD

08-03-10, 09:54 AM   #27  
No doubt you are right. If I didn't have so many projects as it stands, I probably would have kept it, too.

VA

06-27-14, 09:05 AM   #28  
I've had good results spraying WD-40 and letting soak for about 5 mins and following with soapy water & gentle scrubing.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-27-14, 03:05 PM   #29  
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully in the past 4 years they got it all done, but thanks for the information. Check back any time, and check the dates to keep current.

Search this Thread