Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD rear drive belt jumps off pulley

LA

07-26-10, 08:22 AM   #1  
MTD rear drive belt jumps off pulley

Hi,

I have a 1993 MTD 600 series 14/42 mower. Recently after shifting between reverse and forward the mower quit moving. I discovered the rear drive belt had jumped off the pulleys (between the transmission and idler) and was pretty chewed up.

When I put on a new belt the ride was very jerky both when accelerating and when braking. After a short test drive the new belt also jumped off the pulleys in the same location.

I do notice that the idler pulley, which sits on a bracket, appears out of alignment with the transmission pulley (by approximately 1/8 - 3/16"). I don't know if they are supposed to be exactly aligned or not.

Is this most likely the problem? (If so, how should I proceed? Can I just force the idler into alignment or do I need to remove the idler bracket and bend it, OR?????).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

FL

07-26-10, 11:17 AM   #2  
Any way you need to the idler must be in-line with the trans pulley (force/remove arm and bend etc.).

Also check the front belt for wear and any flat areas in the V part of the belt, These can cause surging while moving and vibration/jumping of the clutch pedal.

Good Luck

PA

07-27-10, 09:52 AM   #3  
I would also closely check that idler for a bad bearing, and any up-down looseness in it's bracket. They do have to be very close in aligment and even more important, that idler can not be cocked off at a different angle as that will throw the belt off for sure.

CANADA

07-27-10, 07:05 PM   #4  
the mtd manual also has adjustment procedures to follow after changing any drive belts

Search this Thread