Mower mysteriously started idling high while mowing

Old 07-26-10, 07:48 PM
Mower mysteriously started idling high while mowing

I have a Yard Machines 3 in 1 mulcher, bagger and mower that is about 2 years old.

While I just got done mowing a patch of grass along the house tonight, the black chute? that kicks the grass out fell off. I stopped the mower to put it back on.

I restarted the mower and it immediately ran louder and faster than it should have. I replaced the spark plug hoping that was the problem, but it wasnt.

I dont see any idle adjustment screws; nothing loose either. The blade got stuck (couldnt even turn it with my hands) shortly thereafter for some reason, but its fine now, but still have an idling problem.

Does anyone have any idea what I can check? Im not opposed to taking it to get it looked at if necessary.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine is on it? Sounds like something may be interfering with the throttle operation or the governor may be faulty.

Old 07-27-10, 09:45 AM
I think it is a 139cc MTD OHV Briggs and Stratton engine

Its basically the same thing as this:

http://www.yardmachines.com/webapp/w...89511_36261_-1

except I have a bagger too...

Let me know if you would suggest I try something. It doesnt seem to complex as long as I know what to look for.

Old 07-27-10, 10:17 AM
Somebody suggested that the spring to the governor came off. This sounds like a possibility.

When I was troubleshooting last night, I noticed a module behind the carb that wouldnt move when I pulled or pushed the EZ start cable or the bar you hold to start the mower.

This module looked like it was suppose to move when the EZ start (yellow arm) on the left side moves. Im not home to verify if the spring is still there to be reattached or not. If the spring is gone, where can I go to get a replacement? Also, would it be ovvious where it latches to?

Old 07-27-10, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That appears to have the chinese engine MTD likes to put on their mowers lately. I am not very familiar with them.