Tractor blades for yard work?

Old 07-27-10, 11:55 AM
Question Tractor blades for yard work?

Hi,
A friend of mine in WV has 20+ acres of property and uses tractor blades for a lot of the upkeep and maintenence, and raves about them.

I've been trying to do some research on them (as I've never even heard of them before) and stumbled across this http://tractor-blades.com/snow-tractor-blades/ which says you can use tractor blades to move snow.

My question is can you get an all purpose one or do you need different kinds for different jobs? For instance maintaining my garden, moving stone evenly and possibly cleaning up snow in the winter.

Is this even a product I should consider or is there something better? I don't quite have 20 acres either, I have around 5 and a lot of it's open.

DanV

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-10, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of tractor do you have? does it have a 3 point hitch?

I mostly use my scraper blade for maintaining my driveway [.3 mile long] but I've also used to knock down weeds and yes it can be used to move snow. You can also grade with it although a box blade would work better for landscaping.

Old 07-27-10, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
What kind of tractor do you have? does it have a 3 point hitch?

I mostly use my scraper blade for maintaining my driveway [.3 mile long] but I've also used to knock down weeds and yes it can be used to move snow. You can also grade with it although a box blade would work better for landscaping.
Good question. I guess I should have specified I was in the market for a tractor as well, so I was sort of looking to buy a combo or pick a tractor that has the proper hitch for the most popular blades.

So ideally you would have different blades for different jobs? There's no universal one that just does most things well?

Old 07-28-10, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A box blade does a superior job of leveling ground. It captures the soil/gravel when there is too much and disperses it in the low areas. IMO a scraper blade is more universal. It won't plug up with too much dirt/gravel - it sends it off to the side. It just doesn't work as well as a box blade for landscaping.

For the most part all scraper blades are the same. They come in different widths and some are more adjustable than others. As far as I know all of them can be turned 360 degrees. When turned backwards it is like a snow plow [you just need to drive in reverse] Some scraper blades can have the blade slide from side to side and/or adjust the angle.

I have a 6' wide scraper blade. While there are times it would be nice to also have a box blade.... it would also be nice to have a tractor for each implement and a barn big enough to hold them all

Old 07-29-10, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
A box blade does a superior job of leveling ground. It captures the soil/gravel when there is too much and disperses it in the low areas. IMO a scraper blade is more universal. It won't plug up with too much dirt/gravel - it sends it off to the side. It just doesn't work as well as a box blade for landscaping.

For the most part all scraper blades are the same. They come in different widths and some are more adjustable than others. As far as I know all of them can be turned 360 degrees. When turned backwards it is like a snow plow [you just need to drive in reverse] Some scraper blades can have the blade slide from side to side and/or adjust the angle.

I have a 6' wide scraper blade. While there are times it would be nice to also have a box blade.... it would also be nice to have a tractor for each implement and a barn big enough to hold them all
Good stuff Mark, thanks for the advice. I am hoping at the end of the summer or the beginning of fall I can find a good combo on sale.