Homelite mighty lite 26ss wont stay running

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-10, 07:13 AM

I have a homelite mighty lite 26 cs weedwacker. It will start up fine. I use the choke and once warm I turn that off, but once I touch the throttle it dies. Usually it will start right back up (with the choke) but the same thing happens again. There isn't much there to work with so I'm confused. The only thing I have done so far is change the plug, clean airfilter screen, and put a fresh gas/oil mixture in, but still having the same results. I realize there is probably a post on here somewhere about this, but my search didn't find anything. Any helpful hints on where to begin? Hopefully I gave enough info, but I can certainly answer questions. It started up fine this spring and I used it once before it started acting up.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-10, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try backing out the high speed mixture screw on the carb a little. If that doesn't do it, the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Old 07-31-10, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but I did turn the idle screw to increase the idle. I did those according to the manual. It helped a little.

I'll look into cleaning the carb if nothing else works.

Thanks...

Old 08-01-10, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, the high speed screw is the one of 2 closest to the air filter. If it's a newer model, it has a limiter cap on it.

Old 08-14-10, 11:36 AM
Is the limiter cap the piece that won't let me turn the screws. What a pain. I read some posts on tricks people are doing to get the adjustment done...but none are working for me. The screw is recessed down and it looks like of course you need a special tool to turn the screw

Old 08-15-10, 12:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try pushing a blue 14 gauge wire connector down onto it, then you can turn it. Push the plastic blue end down over the head of the screw (forum member geogrubb's idea).

Old 05-26-11, 12:34 PM
The blue 14 gauge wire connector works perfectly. I was having the same problem on my 26ss. I took the whole carb assy apart, cleaned it, put it back together and had the same problem, an idle that fluctuated wildly, bogging when throttling, then dying on me over and over. I used the wire connector and fiddled with the high and low speed screws...not sure what I did, but worked in 1/8 to 1/4 turns until I got it to smooth out. Now it works perfectly, better than new actually. This is a standard solderless crimp-type wire connector, the blue one, that you would use to splice a pair of wires together. Thank you for the advice "cheese" and "geogrubb".

Old 06-11-11, 08:56 AM
You're not kidding that the blue 14 gauge wire connector works. Here's an additional tip: I used an Alan wrench or something the right size to push the metal sleeve out of the wire connector. Then I forced the blue plastic sleeve of the connector over the end of a star tipped screw driver. This makes a handy little tool that you can use to make adjustments while the weedwacker is running. The wire connector does not slide completely over the custom adjustment screws but with a good amount of pressure they will turn. I could switch between this tool and a Philips screw driver (for the idle screw) and get the Homelite adjusted nicely. Knumbscle is right that you want to work in 1/8 to 1/4 turns until the trimmer runs smoothly.

Old 06-11-11, 05:09 PM
I take full credit for the idea...NOT... I borrowed it from somewhere, it is amazing how creative people can become, out of necessity. I paid $30 for the tools for the small carb screws, used them one time....now the hang on a hook. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-31-11, 12:02 PM
Cool Thanks to ALL you guy's!!!!

You guy's have all been extremely helpful in helping me fix the problem with my Homelite 26cs Weedwacker. I had left it hanging in my garage for a year because even though I had taken apart the carb. and cleaned the thing, it still would not keep running, but with finding "doityourself" site and more importantly you all's knowledge I am now able to use it again and it keeps running!! I used the "blue 14 gauge wire connector" on both the adjust screws and have this thing running better than new! There are some creative minds at work to come up with this fix. Thanks again to all for your help.

Old 08-31-11, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you found some useful advice here!

Old 07-29-13, 08:44 AM
Same Problem with the Homelite Mighty Lite 26ss

I found this thread based on a Google search because I was having the same problem with the Homelite Mighty Lite 26ss. The blue 14 gauge connector did the trick. Thanks, diverdad

Old 07-29-13, 10:06 AM
What are the chances that Homelite and Yard Machine are made by the same people? This condition sounds very familiar....

Old 07-29-13, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They aren't. Walbro and Zama carburetors are used on both though, and on most other brands as well.

Old 06-10-14, 02:02 PM

I'm having the same problem. However, the primer will not fill with gasoline. A little trickles in, but then little air bubbles appear. I'm assuming that I have a leak somewhere. Is that a reasonable assumption? If so, what's the likely location of the leak?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-14, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could have cracked fuel lines, or a carburetor that is clogged up.

Old 07-02-15, 08:46 PM
14 gauge wire SPLITTER!!!

Just so you all know, the blue wire SPLITTER works. But is not a wire connector that you twist! It is a splitter. I spent about $30 on fuel, carb cleaner enhancement, fuel lines and fuel filter. It still did not keep my weed whip running correctly. I bought the blue wire splitters. I took one and attached it to a Phillips screw driver by pressing down on it. This makes it a lot easier to adjust the setting. It took about 5 setting adjustments, but I got it finally running like a champ. Per previous comments that said it is a wire connector, it is not! It is a wire splitter. But any ways it works and thank you for the fix!

Old 07-02-15, 09:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Um, it's called a butt connector. Not a splitter. Connector is the correct terminology. A twist type connector is called a wire nut.

Old 07-03-15, 09:08 AM
And it doesn't have to be blue or that connector at all, see below. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-03-15, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Isn't amazing how certain models have problems. Over 25k page views in this thread.

Just to add my 2 cents worth.... a Write Bros stick pen with the refill removed also makes a great adjustment tool. Worked perfectly on my two Craftsman blowers.

Attachment 52769

However, all good things must come to an end. There are too many posters in the thread so it will be sent back to our searchable archives where it will always be available for reference.

If you still have a question or problem after reviewing this thread please feel to start a new one.

Closed Thread