Fuel feed problem

Old 07-31-10, 11:26 AM
Fuel feed problem

I have a lawn tractor with a Tecumseh 204207A ohv16 engine. The fuel does not seem to feed properly to the carburetor causing the engine to stall. I removed the float and needle valve this morning, turned the fuel on and got zero flow. I used an air hose to blow the line clear, reattached the fuel line and gas did flow.....kind of. Started the mower, it ran for 10 minutes or so and stalled. Fuel flow is very slow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-10, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try it with the fuel cap off or loosely tightened. It could be sealing the tank too well, causing a vacuum and preventing gas flow.

Old 07-31-10, 12:21 PM
Fuel flow problem

Tried that...............same result.

Is there anything in the fuel line between the tank and the carb other than the filter that could be clogged?

Old 07-31-10, 12:42 PM
fuel flow

Sometimes the fuel outlet fitting on the tank has a built-in screen that can get clogged. You have to remove the fitting from the tank to access it. Good luck, Steve

Old 07-31-10, 01:43 PM
Thanks........the fuel tank is plastic, no screen, and the fuel line to the shutoff valve seems clear.

Old 07-31-10, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What lawn tractor? Is it gravity feed or is there a pump?
Could be old fuel lines collapsing or deteriorated inside? Any valve or inlet/outlet could have restrictions...Could be crud in the tank that is cleared when you blow out the lines then finds its way back...

Old 07-31-10, 02:47 PM
Fuel flow problem

The lawn tractor was sold by Montgomery Ward and says Powr Kraft on the hood. The engine is a Tecumseh OHV16 204207A with a gravity feed fuel system.

I just finished pulling the fuel lines and they look clean, the shutoff was clean and I blew some air up through the needle valve cavity and that seemed clean.

Could the needle valve seat in the cavity be the culprit?

Old 07-31-10, 02:51 PM
Fuel flow problem

One more thing.......when I was mowing the lawn earlier today and the engine would start to stall, i would reach down and shake the fuel line vigorously and the enough fuel would then flow to allow me to operate for another five minutes or so.

Old 07-31-10, 04:44 PM
I had this same problem with one of my farm tractors. Found a piece of aluminum seal from a bottle of dri-gas in the gas tank which would float around and occasionally settle and block the fuel outlet on the tank. Sounds like you may have the same type of problem.

Old 08-01-10, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen the rubber inner lining of fuel lines swell and restrict the flow of fuel even to the point of pretty much no flow at all.

Old 08-02-10, 08:30 PM
Fuel Flow Problem

Thanks Cheese.......I'll change the fuel lines later this week and see if that solves the problem.