Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 11HP garden tractor

OH

08-02-10, 11:50 AM   #1  
Craftsman 11HP garden tractor

I have an older Craftsman 11HP garden tractor with a Briggs & Stratton 11HP engine that apparently blew up. A loud pop and now no compression. I bought what appeared to be an identical engine from a guy and it bolted onto my tractor perfectly, all the connections matched EXCEPT: the old engine had one red wire coming from behind the starter, with a single quick connect plug and the replacement engine has 2 wires coming out from behind the starter, one red & one black in a 2pin quick connector. How do I go about hooking them together?

Sponsored Links

OK

08-02-10, 02:34 PM   #2  
Does your unit have headlights ?

OH

08-03-10, 09:45 AM   #3  
Posted By: GlenM Does your unit have headlights ?
Yes. the older engine had a separate wire powering the lights. Looks like it can from the ignition swtch.

WI

08-19-10, 01:29 PM   #4  
Hey,

I have close to the same motor on my rider that I've been working on. There should be a bigger red wire going to a bolt on the starter (comes from a relay) and the 2 wires (red and black) that go to the white 2 pin connector are connected to what I believe is the generator under the flywheel (new motor). I'm guessing that on the older motor the generator is grounded by the engine block and doesn't need the black wire through the connector. I would try cutting the connectors and butt connecting the red wires together and ground the black wire the to the frame of the tractor.

CANADA

08-19-10, 06:25 PM   #5  
the one red wire setup was DC only to charge battery. The 2 wire is the dual system and the red wire serves same way as the red one wire system. ie dc for charging battery and the black one is ac for running lights. it's colour may change to white after the connector. Should work if you connect the red wires. Just rig up someway to get the continuation of your old red wire into the red wire half of the double connector on the new one.

OH

08-20-10, 03:04 PM   #6  
I had another guy tell me that the two wire system is from a dual voltage stater. Red to recharge the 12v baterry and black to run the headlights. My old engine had a separate wire for the headlights. I'm going to try and get it running this weekend. Wish me luck!!

WI

08-20-10, 03:24 PM   #7  
Ok, that makes sense...I was wondering why they needed to have a ground from the stator back to the battery but it's for the dual voltage system...interesting. Good luck!

Search this Thread