Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb spitting gas on my MTD lawn tractor

OK

08-03-10, 07:36 PM   #1  
Carb spitting gas on my MTD lawn tractor

Hello everyone...

My MTD will just barely run now...I tried to use it weekend before last, and it was very hard to start and when I did get it going it would only run with the air filter off and the choke halfway closed. I noticed there was a lot of fuel and air coming up out of the carb. I did some research online and decided to clean the carb. Tonight I took it apart as much as I could and cleaned it all out with carb cleaner. I noticed that the float looked different than what I had found online...there was no needle hanging down from it, and it didnt look like there was even a place for one...the plastic kind of just had a point where the needle should be. After letting the clean carb dry out real good, and blowing air through the ports, I put it all back together. It did run a little better, but I am still having the issue. I made a video, but I am not sure how or if I can even post it here. Do I need to get a rebuild kit and redo the carb completely? Was there a needle on that float at one point but its gone now? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really do not want to mow my field with the push mower! Al

YouTube - 301

Sponsored Links

FL

08-04-10, 07:22 PM   #2  
Hello Al, Sorry for the delay in replying.....

With no engine model numbers posted here's a twin 3 screw fuel pump carb break-down;

The 4 screw pump carb is the same other than the fuel pump.

Part reference # 134 is the float needle valve assembly.

I would suggest a carb kit and replace everything, In most cases it's not necessary to replace the brass float needle valve seat just the float needle valve. Once you have the float valve and float back in place hold the top of the carb up side down (float up), The float should sit a little higher than level on one side. Bend the small tang that touches the needle to achieve this adjustment.

Remove part reference 955A (plug) from the bottom area of the bowl then part # 117B (main jet) and make sure it's fully open along with that port in the carb body.

Also, Replace the fuel filter to keep trash out of your clean carb.

Good Luck

Search this Thread