To Much Sea Foam?

Old 08-29-10, 01:10 PM
OK, Mike. With the outlet on the top of the tank, don't bother doing the bypass on the fuel pump. That engine looked like the outlet was from the bottom.

When they're clean and shiney it just means you don't use them.

With all you've done with the ignition parts, it still sounds a fuel delivery to the carburetor and that points toward the fuel pump. Bypassing it would tell for sure, but the only way to do it on that engine would be to use an auxiliary tank to feed it. You don't need a pressure fed fuel flow - a gravity fed would work.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-10, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
With all you've done with the ignition parts, it still sounds a fuel delivery to the carburetor and that points toward the fuel pump. Bypassing it would tell for sure, but the only way to do it on that engine would be to use an auxiliary tank to feed it. You don't need a pressure fed fuel flow - a gravity fed would work.
I may try to rig up something with an old gas can. But why would it run a bit better when I put the throttle at full choke? That's what I don't understand.

Old 08-29-10, 04:23 PM
The choke circuit will crutch a weak fuel pump. What can complicate a weak pump diagnosis is hot weather = a type of vapor locking in the fuel flow.

The choke circuit is like dumping fuel in the throat of the carburetor while the running circuits are heavily metered for fuel economy and performance. So the intake vacuum of the engine can help pull the fuel through the inflow to the carburetor.

With a straight gravity feed system, the pulsations of a diaphragm aren't working against a vapor bubble= fuel stops pumping. So a gravity feed is a good check for a problem in the pump, whether it be shot altogether or having problems with vapor bubbles.

Old 09-02-10, 09:10 AM
Well, now I'm at wits end! I went ahead and just replaced the fuel pump instead of trying to rig up some kind of gravity feed tank. (would of had to go buy another gas can, hose clamps, etc.)
The darn thing ran for 5 minutes and it started doing the same thing as last time. I could mess with the throttle in the choke mode and could at least keep it running. When it would die, the only way it would start (hot) was at full choke.
Now where do I go?

Mike

Old 09-03-10, 07:50 AM
After reading some other postings on this forum about running a motor at full choke, all the answers ponted to fuel supply. I checked the fuel supply at the carb (from the pump) and it is very good. Even better than it was with the old pump on it. So now I've pulled the carb and disassembled it am going to let it soak in cleaner for a day or two and go from there. Is there really any reason to put a kit in it? There isn't a whole lot to one of these things. The throttle shaft & choke shafts move freely and the float is good and the needle valve looks good. Is there anything internally that would be damaged by soaking in carb cleaner?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Old 09-05-10, 10:27 AM
OK, I pulled the carb and dissasembled it and soaked it in some Gumout carb cleaner, sprayed the main jet and the main jet holder, etc. Used a small wire to clean all the little holes, etc.

I cleaned everything I could and blew it all out with compressesd air.

I put it in the mower and it still stops after 5 minutes. When the motor is hot I can start it at full choke and it runs strong for about 10 seconds and it starts blowing black smoke and it dies, which to me sounds normal. When I move the throttle to high throttle from full choke the mower dies. I can also start it at low/idle throttle although it runs uneven and if I try to increase the throttle it dies.
What am I missing?
Any help is still much appreciated!
Mike

Old 09-05-10, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it run good for those first 5 minutes? I think this is a huge key to the puzzle. There are only so many things that could cause that (on the fuel related end of things, if that is the cause). One thing could be a stuck needle that as the fuel level drops in the bowl too low without any more fuel replenishment, it dies. Another thing could be a plugged vent. Another thing could be a fuel hose slowly collapsing under some kind of suction.

What happens if as it is getting ready to die, you choke it? This could be key in determining if the fuel delivery systyem is really the cause.

Old 09-05-10, 04:58 PM
Here's what I did today. I started the mower and rode it around for about 5 minutes and it started acting up. I was able to get it to run at idle although it was rough. I started adjusting the mixture screw which had been set a 1 1/2 turns. I backed it out 1/2 turns and it smoothed out. I increased the throttle to full throttle and it ran fine for about 30 seconds and then the governor linnkage started moving causing the motor to surge. The governor/linkage started moving more rapidly until the motor died. I restarted the motor and tried adjusting the mixture and this did not improve anything. I did this probably 4-5 more times with no luck. I also sprayed some "Blaster" around the base of the carb while it was running to check for maybe a vacuum leak and nothing changed.
I have a clear fuel filter on this and that sits almost straight up and down and the fuel level in the filter is always around 3/4 full.
What do I check next?
Thanks so much for ALL the help.
Mike

Old 09-13-10, 03:37 AM
I replaced all the fuel lines (I should have done that a long time ago) There was one of the lines that had some cracks in it. It wasn't leaking but possibly could have been sucking air instead of fuel.
The mower started and ran well. I drove it around my yard for about 15-20 minutes with no problems. It has been so dry around here there hasn't been any reason to mow the yard. I'll probably mow next weekend so I'll find out then if this thing is finally fixed!
Mike

Old 10-09-10, 12:11 PM
EUREKA! My mower finally ran long enough to mow my whole yard without stopping!
It is such a nice day today I went ahead and mowed my yard although I probably could have waited another 2-3 weeks if I had wanted to. I just wanted to see if it would run like it's supposed to so when the time comes to clean up the yard for winter it'll be ready.
Thanks to all for the help and advice, especialy MARBOBJ, thanks for ALL your help & advice!
Mike