Kill wire system 3.5HP Briggs

Old 08-09-10, 12:35 PM
Kill wire system 3.5HP Briggs

My son's mower is having an issue with the stop wire system and I cannot figure out how to correctly wire it. This is on a 1981 3.5HP Briggs engine.
There is one wire that connects from the condensor on the break points to the ignition coil armature. There is another wire that is connected to the throttle that heads back towards the condensor. Where does this wire attach?

Right now the mower will run when the wire that connects to the ignition coil is NOT attached. As soon as I attach it the mower stops. I cannot figure out what the proper set-up is.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-10, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by martin_30 View Post
My son's mower is having an issue with the stop wire system and I cannot figure out how to correctly wire it. This is on a 1981 3.5HP Briggs engine.
There is one wire that connects from the condensor on the break points to the ignition coil armature. There is another wire that is connected to the throttle that heads back towards the condensor. Where does this wire attach?

Right now the mower will run when the wire that connects to the ignition coil is NOT attached. As soon as I attach it the mower stops. I cannot figure out what the proper set-up is.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Post the model, type and code stamped in the metal shroud just above the spark plug so we know what you have, sounds like the throttle closes a ground circuit. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-09-10, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
geo has you on the right track. It will depend on the mower however and not the engine as to your throttle/kill switch.
If your mower has a throttle control that also has a stop engine function, then that seems to me to be the problem. To stop the engine, the wire that would connect to the stop switch, grounds that wire to kill spark to the spark plug.
Sounds like your throttle control is grounding your connection all the time or the throttle control/stop is defective or possibly incorrectly positioned.

Old 08-09-10, 01:20 PM
It in an old Toro that has a throttle control lever connected by a cable. When the cable is pulled all the way back it moves the throttle lever over a contact. There is a wire from that contact that runs back toward the condensor on the points. That is the wire that I'm not sure where it goes. There is another wire that is attched under the spring on the condensor and run to a quick connect on the ignition coil. The mower runs when that is not connected but does not run when it is connected.

Old 08-09-10, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now you got me a bit confused...just me I imagine.
geo may have been right about the engine kill being on the engine not the mower...and with points now I aint so sure.
Still think the wire from the kill switch activated by the throttle should go to the coil/mag/armature on the other end...

Old 08-09-10, 03:48 PM
It is a Toro Lawn Mower Model # 20698

The engine is model number 93508-0196-01

Thanks.

Old 08-09-10, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wire from the throttle should connect in with the condenser. It goes to the contact on the throttle plate so that when the throttle lever contacts it, it kills the engine. When the throttle is not contacting it, it should run. If it still won't run even with the throttle set so that it does not contact it, then the wire or contact is shorted to ground somewhere.

Old 08-10-10, 05:49 PM
Okay, I jusr realized that this ignition is electronic and the points are no longer being used. Can someone tell me how I should then wire this?

Thanks

Search this Thread