Honda Harmony II drive problem

Old 08-10-10, 08:19 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honda Harmony II drive problem

Someone dropped my mower off the back of a pick-up truck Now, the drive no longer works. I had tranny replaced 2-3 years ago - no problem until this event. When on a hard surface, the drive bar engages clutch (not firmly) - but not in the grass. So, I have to push it through 1/2 acre in blazing hot, humid weather I feel I am able to replace clutch cable myself. Big BUT here: if there is engaging on hard surface, does this mean the tension spring inside the tranny is now bad? - it's supposed to put tension on the clutch cable. If that's the problem, how did something inside the tranny box get involved? There are 2 places that work on Hondas - both are crooks, and I don't think I could take the mower on a bus to either of them, and certainly have no way to pay someone to do the work - I'm a senior. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08-10-10, 03:23 PM
Hello hikerpat,

Something may have gotten bent just a little when it took that tumble, Since you are getting a little clutch on pavement try adjusting the cable on the handle and see how it goes.

This may not be your exact handle set-up (no numbers posted) but gives a general idea;

Good Luck

Old 08-11-10, 10:55 AM
H
Fixed cable length

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this particular cable does not adjust - its length is fixed. At the top - on the drive bar - is a tightly coiled spring. At the working end - on the actuator - is an s-hook, which hooks into the actuator. I am not aware of any type of adjustment at the working end; no evidence of any type of adjustment at the top.
Just in case I missed something when I last looked at it, I will look again. In the meantime...
...any other suggestions??

Old 08-11-10, 11:11 AM
H
Just as I suspected...

31YTech:

I looked again. At the bottom of the spring (on the handle), there is a ball bearing that is part and parcel of the cable.
The end of the cable - the s-hook on the actuator - has no adjustment.
There is one other question though... Maybe 2"-3" above the s-hook, there is a black, rectangular block, which has 2 different sized sections. The smaller section goes through the "elbow," just above the actuator - it appears that perhaps it is pushed through. It would seem to me that this keeps the s-hook in place and from coming unhooked. The remainder of the black block is larger and has the cable running through it.
We are in a drought, so I don't think I will need to run the mower again for at least 4-5 days (there is rain forecast!!!) We have a little time to come up with ideas and, hopefully, a solution.
Thanks.

Old 08-11-10, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by 31YTech
This may not be your exact handle set-up (no numbers posted) but gives a general idea

OK hikerpat, I need you to post all the numbers off the decal on the mower deck so I can look up your exact machine.

Then we may be able to come up with a game plan.....

Old 08-12-10, 07:47 AM
H
HH II numbers

31YTech:
Model: HRS216SDA
Serial: MZBZ-6012255
I purchased it in 1998. Except for a hole in one corner of the deck, it starts on the second pull and runs great - just the drive is a problem.
Thank you.

Old 08-12-10, 05:30 PM
OK Mr. Pat,

Here's your cable set up, See if you can move the housing back a little in the clamp and get better engagement;

BTW, A new cable comes with a new engagement handle as a replacement kit and is in the $45/$55 price range. Hopefully the adjustment will solve your issue.

Good Luck

Old 08-15-10, 02:17 PM
H
No "clamp" on this model

31YTech,

OK. I spoke with a man at the dealer where I bought this mower. He's the first nice and helpful person I have found there. He told me to loosen the bolt that runs through the choke apparatus, push the clutch cable down into the apparatus and tighten the bolt. The cable housing is below this apparatus. Sounds reasonable, except for one small detail - that is not how my mower is designed. But, no matter, I cannot get the nut loose. The inside of the bowl (see below) is narrow and appears to need a special tool.

I will attempt to describe how my clutch cable set-up looks: On the left-hand side (as you are standing behind the mower) is the choke apparatus. To the inside (right) of the choke are 2 cables. The piece that holds the cables looks thusly - picture a bowl with a wide mouth. In the middle of the bowl is a bolt running from outside the bowl (from left to right) into the middle with a nut on it. On each of the two outside corners of the bowl's mouth are round openings. A cable runs through each of the round openings. This whole thing is an extension of the choke apparatus.

Therefore, the bolt/nut have nothing to do with adjusting the cable - pushing the clutch cable into the housing.

The guy I spoke with at the selling dealer told me a clutch cable is $7.19. Of course, that doesn't include the drive bar.

As this guy worked on Saturday, I will assume he will not be in until Tuesday. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Miss Pat

Old 08-15-10, 05:38 PM
I do apologize "Miss" Pat, I should not have assumed....

The picture I posted above is in fact the same handle assembly your mower left the Honda factory with, You can further see HERE by the numbers you posted.

I don't believe you understand the concept behind this adjustment, Let me try to explain using your terms.

When the bolt running through the middle of your "bowl" is tightened the two round openings in the "bowls" mouth that the cables run through are sandwiched, This keeps the cables from sliding/moving when the handles are pulled.

You must loosen this bolt going through your "bowl" so the sandwich can be opened slightly, Then the self propel cable can be pulled back through the "bowl" mouth opening toward the engine 3/16 to 1/4". Then re-tighten the "bowl" bolt to re-sandwich the cable so it doesn't move in the "bowl" mouth opening.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: