Craftsman Riding Mower 16HPOHV Needs Help

Old 08-14-10, 06:48 AM
Craftsman Riding Mower 16HPOHV Needs Help

My Sears Craftsman riding mower Model 917.270670 with Briggs & Straton 16HPOHV enging does nothing. About 2-3 months ago it started running rough. I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in and it was great. Now it won't turn over. I put a new spark plug in. I had the battery checked and was told it was good. Any suggestions would be great other than getting a new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-10, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Who checked the battery? If it was only checked for voltage, it could still be bad. You actually can jump start it from a car battery if you have jumper cables. If it cranks and fires up - time for a new battery.

Old 08-14-10, 12:39 PM
Just for info;

If any mower is jump started off a vehicle make SURE said vehicle is NOT running. Vehicle alternators put out way more amps than any mower therefor damage to the mower charging system can occur.

Ms Carol,

Does your mower make any noise or the engine try to turn over (spin) when trying to start it ?

Old 08-14-10, 09:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
31YTech, I agree with your statement of not having the car running. but for a different reason. An accidental reverse hookup could damage the car's electronics.

The mower starter will only draw as much amperage as it needs to spin the starter. No different than hooking up a 3 watt tail light bulb to the jumpers. It will only pull the amp or fraction thereof, to light the bulb.

If we were talking voltage differentials, yes, the starter or mower electronics could be damaged but this is a case of nominal 12 volt to 12 volt.

Old 08-15-10, 07:52 PM
Hello goldstar,

Have you ever heard of voltage/amperage spikes ?

Some lawn and garden equipment has the charging system wired to continuous power while others are wired to switched power. Therefore the activation of the starter has no role with the charging system or components.