Can mower belts stretch

Old 08-15-10, 05:16 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can mower belts stretch

My mower belt slips. When the mower is off I can engage the belt and still almost turn it by hand.

Do mower belts stretch like automotive belts? I think, if so, my problem is simply an old, stretched belt.

Thanks,

Brandon

Old 08-15-10, 05:52 PM
Brandon,

Sure belts can stretch, Also as the "V" area of the belt wears the belt rides deeper in the pulleys which can cause a slipping situation.

Just to give you a idea;

I installed a new B85 deck belt on my boss's Dixie Chopper Classic before he took it home to mow his 5 acres, That was about 2 hrs mowing time. When he returned with it I re-checked the belt tension and found the belt had stretched 3/8" in that time.

Old 08-15-10, 08:34 PM
V
Alright! Good to know! I figure the other option would have been a lot of work and money.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 08-15-10, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
I have seen loose belts that were once tight, but they are always the same length when the back side is measured as the original belt. I don't think they really stretch, but rather the v wears down and allows the belt to ride deeper in the pulleys, creating the excess length. Usually the only belts I see that have stretched (to any significant degree) had broken cords and were on the verge of self-destructing. Just my observation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: