Replacing a lawnmower engine

Old 08-18-10, 12:20 PM
Replacing a lawnmower engine

My son-in-law just blew the engine on his Husqvarna riding lawn mower. He only used the mower for about 3 years so the rest of the machine is in great shape. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 21hp. ELS656. It looks like we can get another motor for about $600 and we're discussing taking a shot at putting it in ourself. We are pretty good at doing minor repairs and maintenance, but is this something an average guy should try or is it complicated enough it should be left to a mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-10, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rwv725 View Post
My son-in-law just blew the engine on his Husqvarna riding lawn mower. He only used the mower for about 3 years so the rest of the machine is in great shape. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 21hp. ELS656. It looks like we can get another motor for about $600 and we're discussing taking a shot at putting it in ourself. We are pretty good at doing minor repairs and maintenance, but is this something an average guy should try or is it complicated enough it should be left to a mechanic.
If you can turn a wrench and clamp a fuel line...should be pretty straight forward. Even more so if replacing with a like engine.

Go FOR IT

Old 08-19-10, 03:46 AM
It's not really that complicated, especially if the replacement engine is same as bad one.
It's just work.
Is the replacement engine sitting on another unit now? or is it in short-block form ?
I just finished an engine replacement. It amounted to taking good parts from both to make one good one. Spent a fair amount of time in cleaning engine and unit it went on.

It's just nuts, bolts, parts, etc. not rocket science.
fwiw