Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCulloch 3200 Chainsaw no spark coil replaced

FL

08-21-10, 11:21 AM   #1  
McCulloch 3200 Chainsaw no spark coil replaced

I have a McCulloch 3200 chainsaw with no spark. I replaced the coil with a new one; the cutoff switch is open. There is a magneto, but I can't imagine that is bad, unless there is a set of points behind it. I haven't attempted to remove that, cause I would imagine there is a special pulling tool.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

IA

08-21-10, 01:01 PM   #2  
If the saw is less than 20 years old it doesn't have points.

Disconnect the wire going to the kill from the coil and with the starter pull off entirely, so the flywheel is exposed, take the plug out and put a screwdriver in the coil wire where the spark plug goes. Then hold onto the screwdriver shaft with your knee grounded (this isn't going to hurt at all ).

Then move the magnets on the flywheel with your other hand up to the side of the coil and turn the magnets under the coil, back and forth. If you you don't get a tingle on the screwdriver shaft, double check the gap between the coil and flywheel - it should be close to .010. If that's OK, you bought a bad coil.

If you do get a tingle, you probably aren't seeing the spark. Try to start it again with a good plug and a teaspoon of fuel/oil mix down the plug hole - then full throttle and no choke.

Search this Thread