Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bagging grass

AL

08-21-10, 06:40 PM   #1  
Bagging grass

I've got a Troy-Bilt Bronco and I got a twin bagger a couple of weeks ago and when the weather was dry, it works very well. However, if the grass is just barely moist, it really clogs up the discharge chute bad. Is there anything I could do about this? It is very aggravating!

Sponsored Links

FL

08-21-10, 07:44 PM   #2  
Jack,

Fluid Film is widely used in the commercial lawn and garden industry by thousands on other message boards I frequent.

A light spray from a aerosol can or light coat brushed from a gallon can on the bottom of the deck and inside the plastic chute will reduce grass sticking/build-up.

The more applications the better it works, If you like I can PM you some links to read first hand experiences......

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-10, 09:39 PM   #3  
The first thing I would look at is the lift on the blades. If it is worn down, or if you have mulching blades on it, then it will not bag well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

WI

08-23-10, 06:02 AM   #5  
Quit bagging and leave the clippings on the lawn - it's better for the lawn that way

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

08-24-10, 03:32 PM   #6  
My experience is that bagging trimmings helps reduce the spread of crabgrass. Mulching tends to spread the seeds and the problem.

MN

08-24-10, 03:49 PM   #7  
Much depends on the location and climate.

In the grass growing season here (June, early July), you may have to cut 3 times a week if you have a healthy lawn. I tried to cut one day, let the grass dry and bag it the second day. It could be a real nuisance, but occasionally I could mulch it and not bag. After that, in the drier and hotter months, I mulched everything and never had a problem since weeds could not survive in a healthy lawn.

Just keep the blades razor sharp and don't go too fast.

Dick

PA

08-25-10, 09:14 AM   #8  
I live in the northeast US where the yearly avg. rainfall is approx 40 inches. I have had no success with baggers not clogging, just too wet, the grass itself is too wet. I have seen others bag with some success, but their turf was either dryer or cut on 3 to 4 day intervals, something I can't do. So as the others have said. it depends on climate, drainability of your soil, type of turf, are you using "high lift" blades, and are they sharp?

Group Moderator

WI

08-25-10, 09:30 AM   #9  
Crabgrass is easy to get rid of in the spring, I wouldn't bag for that reason alone

Search this Thread