spark plug

Old 09-12-10, 06:52 PM
leave the cover off the box, use a dollar bill, put it between the two points opening and closing, let them close on the dollar, scrub it up and down and take it out.

To check for spark, you'll need the pull start on it or something to spin the engine over. Then take a good spark plug, stick it in the plug wire end, hold the base of the plug on a cleaned off, bright spot on the engine head and turn the engine over.

I'll have to be gone for about three days. Hopefully you have a spark. Work on cleaning up the carburetor and the rest of the engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-10, 07:04 AM
when you say turn over does it need to be with some kind of speed or will a slow turn still do the same thing?

Old 09-14-10, 08:54 PM
It would have to be turned over with the same speed as a starter. This is characteristic of a magneto ignition.

As a side note, a battery fed ignition (which yours isn't) would only need the engine to be turned past the points breaking open at any speed and it would spark.

Old 09-19-10, 01:24 PM
Hey, I got a spark! What do I do next in preping the engine for starting? Note; I only get a spark what seems to be every other rev. Is that due to the pull start or the engine?

Old 09-19-10, 02:33 PM
You're do'in good. Now put a tablespoon of gas down the plug hole, stick the plug back in it and with half throttle, no choke see if it will fire.

** Make sure the oil is good in it, leave the air filter off for now.