Generac 10000EXL Generator Engine Problem

Old 08-30-10, 11:01 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generac 10000EXL Generator Engine Problem

Boy oh boy, with Hurricane Earl approaching us here in Nags Head, N.C. it was time to start up the generator to make sure it works.

Well, that didn't work out too well!

The generator is blowing out white smoke and some sort of liquid (not sure if it's gas and/or oil) from the muffler so I took the air cleaner off and there is an ungodly amount of what looks like gas coming up through the carburetor. It will run for just a few seconds then seems to flood out, which I totally expect, based on the amount of fluid coming out of it.

Some of the basics from the generator:
Model: Generac 10000EXL
Model #: 350445
Type: 1162 E1
Code: 98072111
Horsepower: 19

Any suggestions as to where I might start at fixing this problem?

Thanks....

Old 08-30-10, 11:44 AM
L
Check to see if your float is stuck. I assume it runs on gasoline, not propane.

Old 08-30-10, 06:38 PM
Hello obxcape,

I agree with LawrenceC on float/float valve issues, A good carb and fuel system cleaning may solve the flooding without a new float needle valve.

Also replace the fuel filter and change the oil, Fuel could have flooded into the crankcase while sitting. Sometimes condensation can build up in a engine crankcase that's been sitting, This can cause a white smoke on start-up until it burns it's self out.

Good Luck

Old 08-30-10, 06:45 PM
O
Stuck float valve seems like a very logical solution! That will be tomorrow's project! Hope it works.....looks like Earl will be a Cat 4+ or Cat 5 storm shortly.....gotta get this thing up and running!

Thanks for the input!

Joe

Old 08-31-10, 02:40 PM
O
Well, I can say thanks for your feedback on the generator problem!

I went to NAPA today and bought some carb cleaner as well as oil, an oil filter, an air filter and new spark plugs. Got back home, took the thing apart, cleaned it as best possible, put it all back together and started it up....the thing is running like a charm! It took a little time to burn the oil and gas out of the exhaust system but, after about 10 minutes, all was well!

Thanks for your help. I hope Hurricane Earl appreciates my efforts!

Joe Murphy
Nags Head, North Carolina

Old 09-01-10, 03:45 AM
L
Glad you were able to fix it yourself. Good luck with the hurricane. Hopefully, it'll peter out before it gets to your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: