Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Two Cycle Engine-Reed Valve????

FL

08-31-10, 07:08 PM   #1  
Two Cycle Engine-Reed Valve????

Hep Me!!

Working on old Homelite Blower (don't get excited). I have lots of spark and the oxygen is there. HOWEVER, engine will not even hiccup. OK. So how about the gas. I have primed the throat of the carb with fuel--nuthin'-----then I tried a tad of fuel directly in the the spark plug hole (replaced the plug)---still no hit. I am now guessing REED VALVE. I have never replaced a Reed Valve and not ever sure where to find it.

All suggestions are reedy appreciated!!

Sponsored Links

MO

08-31-10, 07:27 PM   #2  
Did it run when you got it, remove the muffler and check that the exhaust port or spark arrestor isn't clogged also check the piston and cyl walls for scoring, if they have deep scratches it is time to junk it. Have a good one. Geo

FL

08-31-10, 07:47 PM   #3  
Nope-yard sale purchase--not running

GEORGE:

I removed the muffler and completely cleaned the filter screen. Did not have much carbon buildup. Port looked open.
Don-t know about the cylinders or piston scoring, however, it is a little low on the compression side. A little oil in the spark plug hole bettered the compression.

Thanx for the input.

Rebel

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-10, 09:52 PM   #4  
Sounds like your compression may be the problem.

I don't think any of the homelite blowers had reed valves.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

FL

09-02-10, 03:08 AM   #5  
Ring

Cheese:

You are probably right on the compression. Sooooo, I guess I will just put a new ring in the thing @3.00--won't do any other "overhaul" 'cause componet price exceeds the value of the blower.

Thanx,
Rebel

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-02-10, 09:58 AM   #6  
I'd get a look at the piston and cylinder like Geogrubb said before ordering any parts. Chances are, they are scored and the engine's not worth fixing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread