Problem with Stihl FS55 Weedeater

Old 09-01-10, 12:07 PM
Problem with Stihl FS55 Weedeater

I have a Stihl FS55 straight shaft weedeater. Probably about 8 yrs old and I doubt it has 25 running hours. Well taken care of. It was serviced last summer from a Stihl dealer including replacement of fuel line. Always has been hard to start. But after several attempts today, it started and after about five minutes of use, it cut off. I let it rest a few minutes before I started it gain. I noticed immediately that the shaft was not turning nor was the cutting line asbly. Any idea what is wrong? maybe a broken gear? am I overlooking something relatively simple? What about a repair cost? I intend to take it in tomorrow. There are a few small engine shops close by but I intend to drive about 15 miles to this authorized Stihl dealer that I have confidence in.

Thanks for reading and all replies.

Last edited by TigerDunes; 09-01-10 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 04:29 AM
any ideas anyone?

I intend to take to the shop today and hoped to hear from the experts on this board before I drop it off.

THX

Old 09-03-10, 09:05 AM
Surprised I did not get a response to what seemed like an easy diagnosis. Did go to Stihl authorized dealer who suspects a broken cable. He will notify me as to cost next week.

TD