Craftsman 18.0 cuts out when clutch engaged

Old 09-01-10, 03:07 PM
Red face Craftsman 18.0 cuts out when clutch engaged

This is a Lawn Tractor, mdl 917.272761
I have the schematic of the electrical wiring. I have already jumped the seat. I bought a new switch for the clutch but it is almost impossible to remove it without tearing the tractor apart. It doesn't matter whether I release the brake/clutch or the attachment clutch, both will shut down the engine. I have already unplugged the clutch switch and plugged in the new switch with the relay open and no dice. Same goes for the attachment switch. I am trying to isolate whether I have a switch or solenoid problem. Any info on how to test with meter would be appreciated before I order new parts. At the ignition switch, I am trying to figure out what could kill the engine or is one of these points a kill swith. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have or experienced the same condition.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-10, 05:31 PM
Hello mydogisjd,

How did you jump the seat switch ?

I will assume you just put a jumper wire across the two terminals in the switch plug connector ?

If so that's not a proper way to test, If you look at the plug connector there should be a little nub sticking up between the two terminals.

This is another "switch" (lower pic below), Wrap a wire tie around this plug connector (upper pic below) to hold this nub/switch in. Don't connect the two terminals together then try your clutch again, If it now operates replace the seat safety switch.

Good Luck