Battery water low

Old 09-02-10, 05:30 AM
Question Battery water low

'Husky' battery on Simplicity Broadmoor is 1 year old. Tractor has started fine all summer, but yesterday I had to use jumper cables from my car because the PTO kicked out after about an hour of mowing and the battery was too low to even restart the tractor engine. When I took the 2 covers off the top of the battery, I could see that the water was very low and the grids inside were showing. I added water and hooked up a charger overnight. Question is: Where does the water go - evaporate or "boil" out? How often should there be a need to service the battery by adding water?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know anything about riding lawn mowers but a battery that does a lot of discharging and recharging always seems to need water. Checking the electrolyte level in the battery should be a part of regular maintainence.

Old 09-02-10, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A certain amount of it vents out of the battery as it gets hot and the electrolyte splashes around in the battery as you're mowing.

Old 09-28-10, 01:41 AM
I ended up replacing the Voltage regulator (about $65) on the B & S Vanguard engine. That seemed to resolve the discharging problem and at last check volt meter reads 14.5 and battery water level was still OK.
But yesterday after mowing 3 to 4 hours, the PTO wouldn't engage the mower deck when I tried to mow over a strip I'd missed. Tractor starts OK, deck just didn't engage. I see there is a multi-wire switch behind the dash where the yellow PTO knob is located. What circuits do these wires control?

Old 09-28-10, 09:13 AM
Additional info: Today, (Simplicity Broadmoor Model 1694429) I started the tractor and the PTO engaged as normal. Battery voltage is 14.5. I reviewed the electrical schematic from the manual on the Simplicity website and don't see any connection problems. Could this be a PTO heat sensitivity problem? The tech at the dealer said something about an ohms test on the PTO, but that is not shown in the manual. I would appreciate help.

Old 09-28-10, 10:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One problem I have found on some electric PTO's that causes this, the connector on the clutch, the wires going into the connector, the separate pins in the connector, will start to break leaving only a few strands of wire actually in the pin. This can cause a higher amp draw and create heat. If the wire gets warm enough it can cause to high of resistance to engage the clutch. It will usually hold once it engages, but initially may fail to engage.

Old 10-12-10, 12:20 AM
Thanks for your help. The connector wire appeared to be OK, but I ended up taking the tractor to the dealer because my multimeter scale was hard to read and the dealer has a digital meter. When the clutch was hooked up from the battery with jumpers, the wires got very hot evidently indicating internal resistance in the clutch. Short story is that the dealer service man said the clutch is bad and needs replaced. New clutch ordered from Simplicity. Cost=$233 plus tax, plus shipping, plus labor. I may get out of this for about $350. He said that clutches rarely go bad, but I just don't know the details inside the clutch. Should have the tractor back by Friday. Thanks again.